August 12, 2008

The Result: Baked Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta

Well, the Baked Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta got mixed reviews at my house. I really liked it. My husband did not. Please know that it was not the recipe itself that he did not like...just some of the ingredients. I should explain that my husband hates feta cheese. Overall, he said the dish was okay (he did eat his portion), but the use of feta turned him off. The other issue he had was the use of too many fresh herbs. Greg likes a more conservative approach to fresh herbs, due to their strong flavor. He thought that this recipe was a little too herbaceous.

I totally disagree on both accounts. But then again, I love feta cheese and fresh herbs. I think that if you like feta and fresh herbs, then this recipe is worth the effort.
I thought it had a very fresh and flavorful taste, without being overly rich. It is rare that seafood can be paired with cheese, but this dish balanced those ingredients perfectly. Also, this meal was satisfying without being heavy. I like the idea that a recipe can be both healthy and substantial.

I made one small adjustment to the ingredients. I added about a half a cup of dry white wine to the simmering tomato mixture to give it a little more depth during the reduction process. The wine addition was awesome, and was exactly what I wanted in the final result.
The only criticism I have is not about the flavors, but rather, a serving issue. I think this would have been better if left to cool a little before serving. I plated it right after it came out of the oven, and I think it took away from the overall result. The fresh flavors did not match the hot, just-out-of-the-oven temperature. Warm would have been preferable to piping hot. I think if it rested for about 10 minutes before serving, it would have been perfect.

I would love to make this recipe again, but I will have to figure a way around the husband's preferences. I think I will only sprinkle feta on half of the top and reduce the quantity of both the parsley and dill. I am hoping that I can adjust this recipe so we can both enjoy it next time.

****UPDATE****8/13/08****

I ate some of the leftovers of this dish for lunch today, and I think it was better than yesterday! A night in the fridge did this dish some good, since all the flavors had a chance to marry. My husband remains unconvinced.

Also, I forgot to mention the orzo in last nights post. I just cook 1 cup of dried orzo in 1 1/4 cup of water and 1 1/4 cup of chicken broth. I bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and let it simmer. It is done when all the liquid is absorbed and the pasta is al dente.

No comments: