August 12, 2008

Baked Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta

I got my dinner plan together early today. I looked in my freezer and realized that I have a bag of shrimp that I need to use, since I don't remember exactly when I purchased it. I am really not sure how long I have had it, so I better cook it today. I could not decide how I would cook the shrimp, so I grabbed a cookbook off my shelf and just started flipping through it. This recipe was the first shrimp dish to jump out at me. I have all the ingredients, and it looks really yummy.

This recipe can be found in Ellie Krieger's cookbook The Food You Crave and the Food Network website. The reviews on foodnetwork.com were very positive, so I thought I would give this dish a shot. The photograph of this recipe shown in her cookbook is nothing short of gorgeous. I have made a few of Ellie's recipes in the past, and they always turn out fantastic. Personally, I think she is fairly under rated and I would like to see more from her. I love healthy flavorful food, and Ellie seems to always deliver. As the recipe suggests in the cookbook, I will serve this over orzo. I will include the nutritional info at the bottom of this post, and I will let you know how it turns out.


Baked Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta
2007, Ellie Krieger, All rights reserved

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
2 (14.5-ounce) cans of no-salt-added diced tomatoes, with their juices
1/4 cup finely minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon finely minced fresh dill
1 1/4 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 3 ounces)

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Heat the oil in an oven proof skillet over a medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer for about 5 minutes, until the tomato juices thicken.

Remove from the heat. Stir in the parsley, dill, and shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the feta over the top. Bake until the shrimp are cooked through and cheese melts, about 12 minutes.

****SERVE OVER ORZO****

Nutrition Information
Yields 4 servings: serving size 1 1/2 cups
Nutritional Analysis per Serving

Calories 300
Total fat 11g
Saturated fat 4.5g
Monounsaturated fat 4g
Polyunsaturated fat 1.5g
Protein 35g
Carbohydrates 12g
Fiber 2g
Cholesterol 240mg
Sodium 710mg

Episode#: EK0402Copyright © 2006 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reservedr.

No comments: