August 10, 2008

The Result: Jen's Chicken Tortilla Soup via Slow Cooker

As always the soup was fan-freakin'-tastic. I decided to post a review because I tried a different preparation this time, and I wanted to share.

First, I added some additional spices for kick that are not indicated on the original recipe. Cumin, coriander, oregano, ancho chile powder, a small can of green chiles, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and 1 chipotle chile with a little adobo sauce. Basically, the whole spice shelf.

Then, (drum roll, please) I made the soup in the slow cooker. Yes, you read right...the slow cooker! I know, I know....I am an evil genius! What is that quote about "necessity being the mother of invention"???? Bingo! The family and I had to do an airport run, right in the middle of dinner time. My in-laws just came back from a vacation, and I really wanted to go greet them with my husband and son....BUT I really wanted this soup for dinner, too. Quite the dilemma! So, I plotted and planned. At last, I came up with the idea of putting it together before we left and then eating it after we got home. Ah-ha. The slow cooker. I did a quick saute of the chipolte chile, garlic, and onions in olive oil and scooped them into the slow cooker. Next, I diced up the already-cooked chicken breasts that I had in the fridge and then added the meat in to the mix. Then I put all the other ingredients into the pot; with the exception of the cilantro and lime juice. I put that baby on high for 2 1/2 hours and let 'er rip. When we came home, the time was up and our soup was waiting for us on 'keep warm' mode. I added some cilantro and lime juice and it was finished. Total perfection!

No comments: