August 10, 2008

Jen's Chicken Tortilla Soup

All of my Cooking Club peep's in MOMS Club will recognize this recipe, since I made it for our inaugural meeting. My husband is a little under the weather this weekend, so I decided to make this dish for him (it is one of his favorites). Actually, I am just trying to score wife points so eventually I will earn something sparkly (like a La Cornue oven or a new set of All Clad Copper Core cookware...HINT...HINT).
This is an easy, foolproof recipe that is always well received. Usually we save it for cooler temperatures, but I am making an exception. My cousin/BFF Barb introduced a version of this recipe to me years ago, and I have tweaked it some since then to make it my own. This soup is definitely considered comfort food in our house.

Jen's Chicken Tortilla Soup
Ingredients
2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
1 medium onion, diced
2-3 cloves of minced garlic
1 container of salsa
6 regular cans of chicken broth (or 2 large)
1 lime, juiced
1 bag of tortilla chips
¼ cup of fresh Cilantro
* hot Sauce to taste
* shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese to taste
* cooked chicken to taste

Directions
1. In a large stock pot, heat olive oil.
2. When oil is heated, sauté onions until translucent.
3. Add garlic and sauté for a few more minutes.
4. Add cooked chicken, chicken broth, salsa and bring to a boil.
5. Once boiling, add cilantro, lime juice, and hot sauce to taste.
6. In individual serving bowls, place some tortilla chips in bottom and sprinkle with Monterrey Jack cheese.
7. Pour the hot soup over the chips and top with more cheese (if desired) and serve!

No comments: