August 1, 2008

RR's Spanish Burgers with Manchego & Chorizo Hash Browns

This is the recipe that we were supposed to try last night. I saw it demonstrated last week on Rachael Ray's show, 30 Minute Meals, on the Food Network. It looks interesting, but I have not had good luck with any of RR's recipes in the past. Typically, they take way longer than 30 minutes to assemble and sometimes the flavor combinations are strange. With that said, and for reasons unknown, I am compelled to watch her. I think I may even like her; despite the fact that she annoys me. Go figure!
Well, we will try this one with some moderate changes. For example, the husband does not like cucumbers so we will leave them out. Also, I have dried herbs today...I will use those in lieu of the fresh herbs that the recipe calls for (such as parsley, thyme, etc.). I could not find piquillo peppers, so I will make due with roasted red peppers. I will use regular paprika, instead of sweet, smoked. Finally, I found Manchego cheese at Trader Joe's but I did not purchase it. Why, you ask??? Well, it was $11.49 per pound! Now, I do not mind splurging on expensive cheese, but I read the reviews and a few people indicated that the Manchego really did not do that much to help the recipe. Most reviewers suggested the use of regular jack cheese instead. So, that is what I bought...regular jack cheese...and I am okay with that.
I will make the Chorizo Hash Browns and a vegetable side dish; maybe I will use up some leftover green beans. I like the idea of an unusual, Spanish twist on a hamburger. I will review the results after dinner tonight.


Spanish Burgers with Manchego and Chorizo Hash Browns
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray, 2007

4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1/2 pound chorizo, chopped
1 onion
2 pounds ground sirloin
4 to 5 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, 1/2 of a 26-ounce bag
2 to 3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves stripped and chopped
Handful flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
2 teaspoons smoked sweet paprika
2 cloves garlic, grated
Salt and pepper
8 thin slices manchego cheese
8 piquillo peppers, drained or 3 roasted red peppers
1 to 2 teaspoons hot sauce, to taste
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced into rings
1/4 seedless cucumber, very thinly sliced on an angle
1 large vine-ripe tomato, sliced
4 crusty rolls, split and toasted

Heat 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil in a skillet over medium heat then add chorizo.

While chorizo is rendering and browning, peel onion. Place meat in a mixing bowl. Grate a few tablespoons of onion directly over the meat. Quarter the remainder of the onion and thinly slice.
Add potatoes and onions to the chorizo. Season the hash browns with salt and pepper and fresh thyme. Once the potatoes are lightly browned, 7 to 8 minutes, flip them and press them down with a spatula to crisp them, continue to cook 7 to 8 minutes more.

To the sirloin, add parsley, smoked paprika, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix the burgers to combine and form 4 large patties. Create an indentation in each burger using the heal of your hand to counter the bulge at the center that happens to burgers as they cook - your burgers will be nice and flat for topping if you use this trick!

Heat the remaining extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the burgers to the skillet and cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side for medium rare burgers and up to 6 to 7 minutes on each side for well done. Melt cheese, 2 thin slices on each burger, the last 2 minutes they are in the pan. Tent the skillet with loose foil to trap enough heat to melt the cheese.

Place piquillo peppers in food processor and add hot sauce, salt and pepper. Process the peppers into a smooth paste.

To assemble, place burgers on bun bottoms and top with sliced red onion, cucumber and tomato. Slather the bun tops with pepper paste and set into place. Serve crispy hash browns with chorizo along side.

Episode#: TM1624 Copyright © 2006 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved.

No comments: