September 10, 2008

The Result: Limon Chicken

Well, it did not stink. In fact, it was pretty okay. Not fantastic...but decent. There are a couple caveats that I need to explain. First, it was lemony. The original recipe called for 1 cup of lemon juice, and I cut it down to 1/2 cup. Even reduced by half, I think that it could be cut down further to 1/3 cup with maybe another 1/3 cup of chicken broth. When I first tried it, I thought that the lemon flavor was a bit too sharp, but then as I got further into the meal, I revised my opinion. It seemed that as the dish cooled, the lemon got less and less stringent. By the time we were finished eating, I actually really liked the flavor. That brings me to my second point...I would let this dish rest at least 5 minutes before serving. Letting it cool, definitely mellowed the whole thing out some. My last bite was sooooo much better than my first bite. I did not use 2 pounds of onions, either. I used 2 whole, sliced onions instead. Two pounds of onions seemed excessive. Maybe there was some correlation between having a large amount of onions and less of a lemony flavor????? I don't know. I did not have two pounds of onions, and even if I did...I would not have risked them is such an experimental dish. Also, I added a pinch of sugar to help counteract the acidity and caramelize the onions. I did use 3 tablespoons of green chiles, which was good...no complaints there.

I served this meal with steamed green beans, and baked potatoes. Overall, I think I will try this dish again...but I still need to tweak it some. It certainly is a long way from fabulous, but it has potential. I think I will at least try it one more time, with some more changes.

No comments: