September 10, 2008

Limon Chicken

I am compelled to try this recipe, even though there were very mixed reviews on foodnetwork.com. This recipe comes from Ingrid Hoffman, who seems to be either loved or hated...judging by the comments left about her and her show. Now, I have made a couple of her dishes in the past that were really great. I am less confident about this one, since the reviews range from saying that "this dish isn't fit for a dog" to the opposite of "it is the best thing since sliced bread". Nevertheless, I am feeling adventurous and I have everything on hand. Really how bad could it be???? Okay...it could be bad. BUT, it could be good. I am pinning my hopes on the good reviews. The people that liked it, REALLY liked it. Although, they could be paid Food Network marketing employees. If it is terrible I will send the husband out for a $5 pizza.

Based on several reviewer comments I am going to change her original recipe, to what makes sense to me. I think part of the problem that people had with this dish may have been that the recipe was poorly written. Some of the ingredient quantities sound way off to me. I will just tweak the quantities to what I think they should be...and that is what I will post.

Here is a tangent: I think the people who followed the written recipe to the letter, were the ones that were disappointed. Seriously, the original recipe calls for 1/3 cup of oil to saute the chicken. Then, people complain that it was too greasy. Well, duh. Anyone who cooks can see that 1/3 cup of oil would be way to much to saute some chicken breasts. Okay...granted if you don't cook that much, of course you would follow the recipe exactly...I get that...AND the recipe is (like I said before) obviously badly written. But these people start their reviews by saying, "I am an experienced cook...". Uh, no your not. If you were "an experienced cook", you would use common sense. Ugh. My opinion is that a recipe is a guide, not an end-all-be-all rule. Following a recipe should not entail shutting off your brain. If something seems a little iffy, then fix it to how you like it or leave it out or do a substitution. Okay, lecture over. Sheesh.

Sorry, I think I am overly cranky today. If this recipe still stinks after I play with it, then I will have to admit that I am wrong. Hopefully, it will not stink. I will let you know. I think I will serve this with either potatoes or rice, and maybe a spinach salad. Are you excited???? I know I am.


Limon Chicken

Ingredients:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts halves
Salt and pepper to taste
1-2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil to coat pan and saute chicken
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 pounds yellow onions, halved and sliced
3 tablespoons diced green chiles
½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

Directions:
Season both sides of the chicken liberally with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a deep saucepan, add the chicken and sear on both sides until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side.
Remove the chicken and add the onions and garlic and cook at medium-low heat until the onions are golden brown, about 10 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper, stir in the yellow chile and return the chicken to the pan.
Spoon some of the onions over the chicken, cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until chile sauce has completely infused the mixture and the chicken is cooked through.
Add the lemon juice and cook another 10 minutes, to allow flavors to meld.

1 comment:

Claire said...

Two pounds of onions?! That seems like a lot.