September 11, 2008

The Result: Torta Rustica

Good. Really good...for glorified quiche. The flavors were solid, maybe a little boring, since I have a frittata recipe that is similar (without the chicken), and I have a better spinach quiche recipe (again, without the chicken). Considering the amount of work that went into this dish, I don't necessarily think it was worth the effort. It was tasty...but not 'over-the-top-pee-your-pants-in-ecstasy-despite-all-the-hard-work' fantastic. Overall, we agreed that we would eat it again, but felt that it took way too much time to prepare, cook, and cool. All in all, I would say a little underwhelming...but not bad by any means.

I thought the puff pastry was going to give me a greater effect...more bang for the buck, so to speak. However, all it did was add more time to the cooking process; without much of an improved flavor/texture. Regular quiche crust would have been about the same, in less time.
Seriously, we did not eat dinner until after we put the boy to bed. Don't worry, my son ate at his regularly scheduled dinner time...but he just had dino nuggets, Elmo crackers, and applesauce instead of Torta Rustica.

I really tried not to deviate too much from the suggested recipe. I did throw in some sharp cheddar cheese (with the other recommended cheeses) just for kicks. I used jarred roasted red pepper, which is not all that noteworthy. I almost added onion, but I controlled myself. Although, some caramelized onion would have worked in this recipe.

I was happy that is was very filling and familiar; but it certainly was not anything new or different. It was fairly labor intensive, especially since my two similar recipes are just as good...with way less work involved. I could just add chicken to either one of those meals and have it be just as satisfying. I think it was too much trouble for the end result being glorified quiche. Needless to say, I probably will not make this dish again.

No comments: