September 12, 2008

Saito Chicken

This is one of my favorite chicken-on-the-grill recipes. Actually, it is a marinade. It comes to me from my friend Claire, who introduced it to me on a trip to San Diego. On that trip, we took turns making dinner and this was Claire's offering. It was awesome! Since then, I have made it several times...all with great results. It is completely easy and totally delicious. Tonight, I have whole chicken legs and thighs that I am going to try it on. I think I may loosen the skin on the chicken so the marinade really soaks into the meat. Then, when the husband gets home, he will just throw 'em on the grill.

I think I will serve this dish with my glazed carrots, since I still have quite a few from my 5 pound bag. Also, I am going to make funeral potatoes (as my friend Laura calls them). I am not sure what the real name of these potatoes are, but they are very yummy and chock full of calories. I have tweaked the recipe some by adding/changing ingredients...so I think I will rename them Jen's Potluck Potatoes...that just sounds a little less morbid. I am sure that most of you have had them before, because they are a traditional, pot luck favorite (although mine are amped up just a bit).
These potatoes feature my one of my favorite foodstuffs....canned, processed soup! Okay, so sometimes I will admit I like canned soup in recipes. BUT...I hate that I like canned soup in recipes! The food snob side to my personality fights with the normal, rational, frugal, mom-on-a-budget side, when in comes to cheap, processed foods (canned soup falls under that category). I hate admitting that I use them...but, when I do...oh, man they are good. I will do a separate post for the funeral...er, I mean...POTLUCK potatoes. I slightly resent loving them so much. I know that does not make much sense. What can I say, I am a mystery, wrapped in an enigma, tucked inside a paradox.

Saito Chicken

Ingredients:
Chicken parts of your choice
1/2 c. oil
1/3 c. lemon juice,
1/4 c. soy sauce
1 or 2 crushed garlic cloves
1 tsp. ground ginger
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Mix and pour over chicken. Let marinate at least an hour, flipping chicken after 30 minutes. Grill 5-7 minutes each side on medium heat OR until no longer pink in middle.

1 comment:

rebekah said...

ahh i live in a largely LDS community and those funeral potatoes are famous around here ... i like them, but yes, calorie laden!