September 13, 2008

Super Easy Sloppy Joe's

I never thought to make Sloppy Joe's from scratch, until my friend Jen A. told me that she does it all the time...with much better results than the stuff from the can. Growing up, I only had the canned sauce version...never from scratch. Don't worry, I was not deprived. My mom cooked plenty of other things from scratch, just not Sloppy Joe's. It never occurred to me that making your own sauce would be almost as easy as opening up the can, but much more tasty and satisfying.

Jen A. gave me her recipe, but I had to mess with it. I can't leave anything the way it is...it must be my artistic side coming out. I took her basic principle, then I added some various ingredients that I found in other Sloppy Joe recipes. I love to play with flavors, and I wanted to incorporate some items that I love into this dish (for example Dijon mustard...seriously, mustard and white wine...I could drink it as a beverage). So, below is the combined version of the Jen A./Jen B. Sloppy Joe mind-meld.
We are going to have some frozen, steamed broccoli and leftover Potluck Potatoes, as side dishes. Yum! I love Sloppy Joe's and I cannot wait for dinner.

Thanks Jen A. for a great idea!

Super Easy Sloppy Joe's

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
1 T onion, chopped
1 tsp salt
1 T vinegar or Worcestershire
2 T prepared mustard
2 T sugar or brown sugar
1 C ketchup
Onion powder to taste
Garlic powder to taste
1 Green peppers, diced (optional)
2 T water (if needed)
1/4 cup Beef or chicken broth (for extra liquid)
1-2 T Heinz 57
1-2 T Dijon Mustard to taste
6-8 hamburger buns

Directions:
Brown ground beef and onions; drain. Add remaining ingredients and simmer. Serve on buns. Super easy.

No comments: