September 18, 2008

Tater Tot Casserole

My friend Claire made a Tater Tot Casserole a few nights ago. I had forgotten about Tater Tot Casserole, and thought it sounded really good. Since I can't come up with any other ideas for tonight's dinner, I guess I will just steal Claire's idea AGAIN. I needed something easy, since I am going to my MOMS Club Mom's Night Out game night tonight. I think this dish will be a perfect solution. Not to mention, yummy and comforting. Seriously, who doesn't love TOTS!

Okay...so this is originally Claire's recipe. Considering I can never leave anything the way it is supposed to be, I changed it by adding sour cream and diced onion. In her recipe notes, she does say that diced onion is acceptable...but the sour cream is all me. I have part of a container that needs to be used today, so I am going to improvise it into this dish. Hopefully, this turns out as good as Claire's original version. I will take full responsibility if the sour cream ends up being a huge mistake...but really can sour cream ever be a mistake????

Tater Tot Casserole

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
1/2 diced white onion (optional)
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder
Cheddar cheese--sliced or shredded
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup of sour cream (optional)
Tater Tots, for topping

Directions:
In an 11x7 pan, crumble or spread uncooked ground beef and diced onions. Sprinkle salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder on top of beef. Cover with sliced or shredded Cheddar cheese. Combine sour cream and mushroom soup in a small bowl. Spread cream of mushroom soup mixture over the cheese layer (this can be tricky business if you've used shredded cheese). Top with tater tots. Cover with foil. Bake at 350 for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, uncovering for last 30 minutes. Or bake at 375 for one hour, uncovering for last 30 minutes.

No comments: