October 11, 2008

Jen A.'s Slow Cooker Creamy Ranch Chicken

This recipe was emailed to me by my friend Jen A., and I have been waiting to try it for a couple weeks. For one reason or another, this recipe kept getting pushed back. It seems I always had something that needed to be used up right away...some perishable ingredient on the brink of "ick". Every time I planned this dish, and then had to push it back, it made me really sad. I have been looking forward to trying this recipe, since both Jen and Claire have made it, and gave it glowing reviews. I would see it come up on my menu plan, and then when I had to switch it out for something else, I realized that it would not come up again until the following week's menu plan. Ugh. Well, now the cream cheese for this dish is in the "I need to use it right away" category. The expiration date is looming, and I finally have a reason not to push it back again. Really, I am relieved. Also, we all know how much I L-O-V-E my slow cooker. The husband and I are cleaning our carpets today, so it is the perfect occasion to use the slow cooker. Dinner can do it's thing, while we attend to our chores. I think I will serve this over egg noodles and maybe make some steamed broccoli to go with it. I am very, very excited to try this recipe.

Jen's Slow Cooker Creamy Ranch Chicken

Ingredients:
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 Tbs butter, melted
1 can cream of chicken soup
8 oz cream cheese, cubed
1/2 c chicken broth
1 (1oz)packet ranch dressing mix
1/4 tsp minced garlic
1 dash paprika
1/8 tsp dry oregano
1/4 tsp dry parsley flakes
egg noodles or rice, for serving
broccoli (optional)

Directions:
Wash and dry chicken breasts and place them evenly in crock pot. Sprinkle with paprika. Sprinkle ranch salad dressing mix over chicken. Drizzle chicken breasts with 1 tablespoons melted butter. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.

Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter with minced garlic and saute slightly. Add cream of chicken soup,cream cheese cubes, 1/2 c chicken broth, dried oregano and dried Parsley flakes. Stir on med til smooth. Add mixture to crock pot, cover again and continue to cook on low for 1 1/2-2 hours. Serve over rice or noodles with broccoli.



The Result:
This was really good. I had the usual issue with my chicken drying out in the slow cooker, but the flavors were yummy. I attribute my dry chicken to my weird, super-fast slow cooker...and the fact that I forgot to adjust down the cooking time. The sauce was creamy, rich, and comforting. This dish reminds me of one of my favorite chicken casserole recipes.
This went really well with the egg noodles and steamed broccoli. The original recipe does not mention broccoli, but I had to add a vegetable. I have guilt if I don't serve something somewhat green and/or healthy during a meal.

No comments: