December 8, 2008

Falafel Pita with Tzatziki and Roasted Acorn Squash

No, you are not experiencing deja vu...we did just have this meal last week for dinner. You see, I still have everything on hand to make this dinner again. I did not buy that many fresh ingredients this week at the grocery store (just staple items), so we are having a repeat dinner to meet the vegetarian dinner goal I set for the week. Not surprisingly, it is a little challenging to plan three vegetarian dinners in a week when you are out of pasta, out of fresh mushrooms, and did not buy any fresh veggies for the week. Don't worry...I figured it out. I still have some options left from last weeks shopping trip, and I am well stocked, otherwise. I intend to just work out of my pantry.

I think I will make this exactly like I did the first time, with no changes. I have some acorn squash that I will roast to serve as a side dish. This should be another easy dinner to put together tonight.

Here is the link to my original recipe post. Below that link, you will find that it's all about the squash.

Falafel Pitas with Tzatziki

Jen's Roasted Squash

Ingredients:
1-2 Acorn or Butternut Squash
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
Garlic Powder
Cinnamon
Nutmeg

Directions:
Halve and clean squash by scooping out seeds and discarding. Place clean halves on sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Roast in a 375 degree oven cut side up for 25 minutes, then flip and roast cut side down for an additional 20 minutes. Squash should be soft and browned. You can remove skin,scoop roasted flesh into a bowl and serve OR just serve roasted halves for your guests to scoop themselves, at the table.

The Result:
I forgot to take a new pic. Since we had this last week, I was hoping you would just scroll back to the old post if you needed to be reminded of what my pitas looked like. This was just as yummy as it was last time I made it, so I think I will put this into rotation. Also, the acorn squash turned out awesome! (I am a squash lover, so I am a bit biased.) All in all, this was a fast, healthy, satisfying meal.

No comments: