December 7, 2008

Jen's Cajun Fish Sandwiches with Cole Slaw, Potatoes, and Roasted Brussels Sprouts

We have been pretty busy this weekend with running errands, cleaning house, and getting ready for my mom to visit. I needed a fast dinner that was fairly healthy, and not very fussy. I bought some Tilapia at Costco the other day, so I decided that fish was the way to go tonight. Instead of searching around for a new recipe, I adapted the recipe for Blackened Fish Tacos to a sandwich version. I will skip the 'result' post later and just tell you it turned out great. It was exactly what I wanted for dinner. Yum! Not fancy; but definitely tasty.
I served it with some baked (microwaved) potatoes, fresh, roasted Brussels sprouts (which I actually liked...they are a lot less bitter than the frozen variety), and I used cole slaw as the sandwich topping. I found a bag of pre-shredded cole slaw mix on sale for .50 cents today at the grocery store (score!), then I just made a simple dressing for it. I think the whole process took me right around a half hour to put together. I love it when I get a good return for minimal effort!

Jen's Cajun Fish Sandwiches

Ingredients:
1/4 cup of canola oil
4 Tilapia fillets
1 Tablespoon of blackening seasoning (I use Paul Prudehomme's Blackened Steak Magic)
1 Tablespoon of Creole seasoning (I use Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning)
Toasted buns of your choice (I used hamburger buns)
Cole Slaw for topping

Directions:
Heat oil in a cast iron or heavy bottomed skillet on high. Meanwhile, pat fish dry with paper towel. Mix seasoning together in palm of your hand. Sprinkle on one side of fish fillets, in even coating. Place fish, seasoning side down in hot skillet and pan fry approximately 2-3 minutes on each side, flipping once. Fish is done when it is flaky and cooked all the way through (fish should cook fast; approximately 5-6 minutes total, depending on how thick your fillets are).

Top each toasted bun with cole slaw (see below for recipe) and a cooked fish fillet. Serve and enjoy!


Jen's Cole Slaw

Ingredients:
1 bag of pre-shredded cole slaw salad mix

For Dressing:
¾ cup of mayo
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1 tablespoon of lime juice
1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon of white sugar
1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard

Directions:
Combine all dressing ingredients in a bowl, mixing thoroughly with a wire whisk. In a separate, large bowl place cole slaw salad mix. Pour dressing over cole slaw mix and toss to combine thoroughly. Use as a side dish or a sandwich topping.


Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Ingredients:
1 pound of fresh Brussels sprouts
salt and pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons of olive oil

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut stem end off each Brussels sprout and discard. Also, discard any yellow or damaged outer leaves.

On a large sheet pan, toss Brussels sprouts with olive oil, salt and pepper.(It is okay if a few individual leaves fall off.) Roast for approximately 30-40 minutes, turning occasionally to make sure they brown evenly on all sides.

No comments: