December 4, 2008

Hungarian Mushroom Soup

I am craving soup today. It is a little chilly outside, so soup seems like a good option. I bought a bunch of crimini mushrooms the other day, and I am dying to use them up. I did a little Internet surfing and found this recipe on allrecipes.com (which is, by far, one of my favorite recipe websites). I thought it sounded really flavorful and interesting, so I decided that I would try it. I have all the ingredients on hand, so this should be the perfect vehicle for my mushrooms. I am tagging it vegetarian, since you can use vegetable broth instead of chicken stock as an easy substitution. I think I will just serve it with some whole wheat bread. Yum! I love soup!

Hungarian Mushroom Soup

Ingredients:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups chopped onions
1 pound fresh mushrooms,
sliced
2 teaspoons dried dill weed
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 cups chicken stock (or substitute vegetable broth for vegetarian version)
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
ground black pepper to taste
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup sour cream


Directions:
1. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Saute the onions in the butter for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and saute for 5 more minutes. Stir in the dill, paprika, soy sauce and broth. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.

2. In a separate small bowl, whisk the milk and flour together. Pour this into the soup and stir well to blend. Cover and simmer for 15 more minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Finally, stir in the salt, ground black pepper, lemon juice, parsley and sour cream. Mix together and allow to heat through over low heat, about 3 to 5 minutes. Do not boil. Serve immediately.



The Result:
Fan-freakin'-tastic! It was so good!!! This will be put in the soup rotation, for sure. It was savory and delicious; very rich and satisfying, without being heavy. I loved that the flavor was complex and the mushrooms gave the soup a 'meaty' quality. This was completely awesome...so, so, so yummy!

No comments: