January 15, 2009

Jen's Traditional Meatloaf, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, and Green Beans

This meal is a comfort food classic at our house. It is one of my favorite homey things to make for dinner, because it evokes fantasies of a Good Housekeeping/Better Homes and Gardens, Martha Stewart-ish, 'wear-high-heels-and-pearls-while-simultaneously-vacuuming-and-reorganizing-my-pantry' type of existence. Just cooking this dish makes me feel like I am Super Susie Homemaker, taking care of my families' tummies whilst being a well organized domestic goddess. Seriously, some people dream about being a celebrity or running away to a tropical island...I dream about becoming the perfect 1950's era housewife, complete with a closet drinking addiction. Sigh...some day...

Anyway, this is one of my favorite dinners, that I don't make very often. A few months ago, we were eating red meat way more than we should, so I decided to cut it back to only a once a week item. I think that decision will improve our overall health in the long run, but the downside is that I don't get to make some of my favorite beef dishes as often. When we do have beef, I try to stick with the leanest cuts possible and use 93/7 ground beef when I can get it on sale. At least that way, I can feel good that I am using the best ground beef I can get my hands on, aside from organic (which sadly, is out of our budget). Here is the link to my previous post for these recipes. There are no changes for tonight's meal and we are pretty much having everything in this previous post, verbatim. As always, I am excited for dinner tonight!


Jen's Traditional Meatloaf, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, and Green Beans


Yum! Now I am off to go iron my apron and shine my husband's shoes.

No comments: