February 19, 2009

Jen's Easy Green Chile Beef Enchiladas

My sweet little boy is back to his usual sweet self, so I am a much happier mommy today. We had a great day with our friends, and then promptly came home and took great naps. Well, I did some laundry too. All in all, today has been a lot less stressful compared to the rest of the week. As part of my pleasant and easy-going day, I decided that I did not want to cook a whole new meal from scratch. Instead, I had enough beef leftover from our sandwiches the other night to morph 'em into a different meal. Also, I have some refried beans that I had made for burritos during the week; they got me thinking about Mexican food. I had doctored up a can of vegetarian refried beans with the intention of having them for lunch during the week, but I did not get to them. I am actually glad that I didn't because they are certainly going to come in handy for tonight's meal. Since I always have a stock of Mexican food ingredients in my pantry, I decided to throw together some green beef enchiladas, using my leftover sandwich meat. Then, I just need to heat up the refried beans and steam some veggies for side dishes. How easy is that???? I love it when a plan comes together!!!!


Jen's Easy Green Chile Beef Enchiladas

Ingredients:
leftover beef sandwich meat
1 yellow onion, diced
8 whole, canned Hatch green chiles
2 cups of shredded cheese (I used a combo of Monterrey Jack and Cheddar)
1 (28 ounce) can of green enchilada sauce (I use Macayos brand)
8 whole wheat tortillas
cooking spray


Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 9 x 13 casserole pan with cooking spray. Pour some green enchilada sauce (about 1/3 of the can) into the bottom of the casserole dish. Roll meat, onion, some cheese, and a whole green chile in a tortilla, and place seam side down in casserole pan. Repeat with all eight tortillas, until all the meat and chiles are used up. Pour remaining green enchilada sauce over top of all eight rolled enchiladas. Sprinkle any remaining onions and cheese over top of the green sauce. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, uncovered. Wait 5 minutes before cutting. Serve and enjoy!



The Result:
This turned out fan-freakin'-tastic! It was so easy and so delicious..total stress-free yumminess. This dish is a keeper...a perfect use for leftover beef!

No comments: