February 27, 2009

Lime Chicken Soft Tacos

I get really burnt out on boneless, skinless white meat chicken sometimes, but it is such a healthy protein, I buy it anyway. It just feels so pedestrian. Since I know I have this proclivity towards boredom (and since chicken is so plentiful at my house), I try to find inventive ways to prepare it...just to break the monotony. This is the case with tonight's dinner, for sure. I have a standard way to prepare chicken soft tacos, but they sounded so boring. Usually, I put together a marinade and grill the chicken...nothing exciting...just a basic, standard (albeit yummy)grilled chicken tacos. No surprises.
Well, I am in the mood to try a different version tonight. I turned to my new, favorite recipe site recipezaar.com and found this taco dish. I have everything on hand for it, and it seems to be just a twist on a classic chicken taco. New enough to spice things up...but not so new as to where it will be taxing on my brain. It is different enough to be interesting, but yet, similar enough to keep within the guidelines of what I had planned for dinner. Honestly, I would not have thought to simmer the chicken in with the 'lime sauce' so I am interested to see how this will turn out. I am kind of a one-trick pony when it comes to certain chicken recipes; chicken soft tacos included. Now, at least I am a bit more excited to cook tonight.

Oh, and since we are sort of on the subject-I love recipe compilation websites such as recipezaar.com and allrecipes.com! I love trying "new-to-me" food from other home-cooking enthusiasts. Plus, I love reading the reviews. I especially love when people alter the recipe completely (sometimes until it is unrecognizable from the original), and then give it a bad or a 'eh' review. That cracks me up. Or they substitute everything under the sun, until it is not even in the spirit of the original recipe. How can you give an objective recipe review when you don't stick to the recipe you are reviewing???? I will admit, I play around with recipes all the time, but at least I...a) don't go and give a review based on my alterations, b) try and stick with the original the first time through, unless it involves extenuating circumstances (extenuating circumstances would count as one or more of the following and are subject to change without notice: a) my going to the store when I don't feel like it, b) interrupting Oprah, c) buying unnecessary ingredients when we are broke, d) any other excuse that I find handy at the time...my rules are flexible when it's convenient for me). I know, I know...adjustments need to made based on individual preferences/tastes. But still...the whole thing is just funny to me. I am such a reasonable and logical person sometimes!

Anyway, back to regularly scheduled programming...

I think my side dish will be some black or pinto beans tonight. I am not sure which one. I will probably ask the hubs to decide for me. Also, I have a few ripe avocados to use, so those will come into play as well. I look forward to trying my new found chicken soft taco recipe. I will let you know how it goes!

Lime Chicken Soft Tacos
Recipe #64160 By: kcdelong Jun 9, 2003

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1/8 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 lime, juice of
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
10 6-inch flour tortillas
1 tomato, diced
1/4 cup shredded lettuce
1/4 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese
1/4 cup salsa

Directions:
1) Saute chicken in a medium saucepan over medium high heat for about 20 minutes.
2) Add vinegar, lime juice, sugar, salt, pepper, green onion, garlic and oregano.
3) Simmer for an extra 10 minutes.
4) Heat an iron skillet over medium heat.
5) Place a tortilla in the pan, warm, and turn over to heat the other side.
6) Repeat with remaining tortillas.
7) Serve lime chicken mixture in warm tortillas topped with tomato, lettuce, cheese and salsa.

Jen's Notes:
I have two substitutions. I don't have green onions, so I will just dice up some white onions, and I only have whole wheat tortillas...not flour. Ah-hem. Maybe I do change things around a lot. By the way, the comments I made before about substitutions count as a double standard...but only because it is twice as true!



The Result:
This was good, but nothing really outstanding. Actually, I would categorize it as just okay...certainly no better than my usual marinade/grill method. The flavors were good, but this recipe did not really cure my sense of boredom with this recipe. It was a little lack-luster in my opinion. We still enjoyed our meal; the tacos were just basic, normal chicken soft tacos. I ended up making really super-spicy black beans, which were actually a bit too spicy for the boy and husband. Also, instead of a standard veggie, I decided to relax a bit and serve some organic tortilla chips with salsa and mashed avocado for my other side item. The boy was so excited to eat chips for dinner! Overall, this was a good dinner, but I don't think I would bother making this particular chicken recipe again.

2 comments:

rebekah said...

oh those look good. i love allrecipes for the same reason, and when i browse those sites, it's generally for an idea of a dish. i rarely ever follow them exactly, but i don't go and review them either :)

kcdelong said...

Sorry you didn't find it the cure to "chicken blues". This is a good basic soft taco recipe that my family seems to love. It's the lime that gives it zing that I like. Hope you try more of the recipes I have listed on food.com (aka recipezaar.com) I have several 5 star recipes that are sure to solve you supper time blues...but thanks for trying and glad you are honest.
kcdelong