February 17, 2009

Slow Cooker Italian Sandwich Beef

I found this recipe in The Red Hat Society Cookbook that I got from the library. It intrigued me because it only has four (yes, four) ingredients. I love cooking with spices and aromatics, so only having four ingredients really throws me for a loop. No salt? No pepper? No garlic or onions?????? How can that be? It is mind-blowing, isn't it?!?! I restrained my instinct to add a bunch of extra stuff to this dish and followed the directions, as written. It was really, really hard not to mess with it! I should be applauded for my self-control. Tampering with recipes is my very favorite thing...you can imagine the itch I had to throw some extra ingredients into the pot! I had to talk myself down and literally walk away from the slow cooker in order to show some restraint. I can't imagine what this dish is going to end up tasting like without my favorite things. I guess we will see...

I am going to serve these sandwiches with some steamed veggies and maybe a baked (microwaved) potato. I have three whole wheat buns left, so those will replace the hoagie rolls that this recipe recommends. I am really interested to see how this turns out!

Slow Cooker Italian Sandwich Beef
Makes 16 servings; from Margaret Metz

Ingredients:
1 (3 to 4 pound) rolled and tied beef rump roast
1 (10 ounce) jar pepperoncini peppers
1 (12 ounce) can of beer
1 (14 ounce) can of beef broth

Serve with hoagie rolls

Directions:
Put the beef roast in the slow cooker. Add the pepperoncini peppers with liquid, beer, and beef broth to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve the meat piled high on hoagie rolls. Spoon juice over top or serve on the side in small cups for dipping. Cut the sandwiches in half to serve.



The Result:
This was really good. Very flavorful and it made really good sandwiches. Unfortunately, my son's behavior at dinner was horrid so we really did not enjoy our meal. Seriously, it was awful. I was so consumed how my son was acting, I could not tell you exactly how yummy this was...I really did not pay much attention to what we were eating. It was one of those nights where I just wanted dinner to end, and then to make an escape. My husband could sense I had reached my limit, because he sent me to Walmart for some "alone" time. Ugh. I walked around Walmart by myself for about an hour...until I was calm enough to come home. Yes, it was that bad. My little guy must be growing or something (maybe he has hit his terrible 3's????) because yesterday was just not a good day for him. By the time we had the dinner incident, I was ready to run away from home. Thankfully, I was in a better frame of mind when I got back. Also, it helped that my husband had put him to bed. I went in his room and kissed his sweet little sleeping face, and then I was perfectly fine. Remind me what I was upset about again????? It's amazing how a peacefully sleeping child will make you forget any bad stuff that has happened (until the next day at least). Anyway, I would make this dinner again. It was really easy and tasty. I just need to try it again under different circumstances. I am looking forward to the leftovers, so I can enjoy this dish a little more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get it--salt in the peppers and beer! What a fantastic, easy, moisty wonderful technique for making great sammich meat:D

Anonymous said...

PS plus the salt in the broth. Genius idea!