February 12, 2009

Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice

Today, we have our big Valentine's Day party for my MOMS Club chapter. My son is so excited, he keeps asking when we are going to the party. He knows that there is going to be truck-loads of candy and cookies there...a toddlers dream come true! Since we are going to be gone late this afternoon, I wanted an easy dinner to just 'fix and forget about' (actually, that is the name of one of my slow cooker cookbooks). This is probably my favorite Cooking Light slow cooker recipe that originally came to me through my friend Claire. It is so flavorful and filling; plus I just love Cajun food. Of course, the best part of this meal is that it is super-easy. Just throw all the ingredients into the crock pot and let 'er rip. When I get home I will have to make some rice, but that should not be a big deal. Overall, this is a fantastic dinner with minimal effort. I am pretty much going to stick to the recipe as written. I will probably just serve it with a spinach salad on the side. Nothing fancy, but at least we get some vegetables in via the baby spinach leaves. I am excited for dinner...I really love this dish!

Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice

Jen's Notes:
I did have to adjust the cooking time today. Instead of cooking on high for 5 hours, I decided to cook it on low for 7 1/2 hours. I wanted to get it going first thing this morning, and I did not want to have to mess with it mid-day. My slow cooker gets pretty hot, so that should do the trick. Also, I am going to try and get a good photo of this dish, since my previous attempts have not been so successful. I lack photography skills, but I try and do my best.



The Result:
I have been having some computer issues, but I finally got my photos and results updated. I need to keep my post short because of said computer issues, but I will just say that I finally got a good pic of this dish. I heart this meal so much!!! It was so delicious and satisfying. Yum!

No comments: