March 18, 2009

Slow Cooker Chicken and Corn Bread Dressing

This dish easily qualifies for the most unhealthy recipe of the week. I mean, really, TWO sticks of butter. I would count that as a bit excessive. However, as artery-clogging as this recipe sounded...it still intrigued me. It seems to make a lot of food, and I am hoping to freeze at least half of this dish for another time. The recipe says that it will serve 8 people, so I am hoping that we will have enough for dinner tonight, lunch tomorrow, and still be able to freeze a big portion of it. I think what ultimately made me decide to try this recipe was the use of the slow cooker, and how cheap this meal is to put together. Also, this recipe is from The Red Hat Society Cookbook which I have had checked out of the library for a least two months now. It is due to go back soon, so I am going to try more recipes from it, before I am forced to return it. I think I will serve this dish with a side salad and that is about it. I was going to make some glazed carrots, too...but the thought of more butter kinda grosses me out. Salad will have to work on it's own tonight. I am keeping my fingers crossed. This is one of those dishes that I really can't predict the outcome. I have a feeling it is either going to be really good or really bad. Wish me luck!

Slow Cooker Chicken and Corn Bread Dressing

Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
2 cups chopped onions
2 cups chopped celery
1 9 x 13 pan of cornbread
1 (10 3/4 oz) can of golden mushroom soup
1 (10 3/4 oz) can of cream of chicken soup
2 cups chicken broth
1 Tablespoon of poultry seasoning
1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons of sage
3 cups of cooked chicken

Directions:
Heat the butter in a sauce pan over medium-high heat. Saute the onions and celery in the butter. Crumble the cornbread in the bowl of your slow cooker. Add the sauteed veggies, mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, poultry seasoning, salt, sage, pepper. Mix well and stir in the chicken. Cook on high for 45 minutes, then turn down to low and cook for an additional 4 hours.

Jen's Notes:
I used canned chicken, rinsed and drained. I also added only 1 teaspoon of salt and then 1/2 teaspoon of Lawry's seasoned salt. I also sprinkled the top with paprika, so it wouldn't look so weird. I am really skeptical of this recipe tonight.



The Result:
This was terrible! We ended up feeding it to our dogs, and getting fast food for dinner. Really, really awful. This is soooooo NOT a keeper. Yuck! It was mushy and weird-flavored. Not good at all! It doesn't even look appetizing in the photo (dog food really is a great description, all the way around). We took two bites and realized how gross it actually was! This recipe should have been printed with a warning label. Ick. I had a gut feeling that this was going to be bad...I should have listened to my insticts. Foul!!! Don't try this at home! Ugh.

No comments: