April 9, 2009

Jen's Easy Green Chile Pork Enchiladas

We are moving around furniture at my house to make room for my son's new, big boy bedroom set. We recently purchased a bunk bed for him, and we are now in the process of transitioning him into a new bedroom. Unfortunately, his new bedroom is our old office, so we have to find space for all of the junk we have stored in our office. Ugh. Finding new storage space is never fun...kinda like the whole round hole/square peg analogy. Needless to say, our whole house is upside down due to this major move. The husband just informed me that I need to type fast because we are ready to change where our wireless Internet is located and he needs to disconnect it. Yikes!!!

Okay, ready, set, go!

Here is what we are doing for dinner...

I made these enchiladas back in February with leftover beef, and we loved them. This time, I am amending the recipe to use some of my pork shoulder roast. I love using already-cooked ingredients in enchiladas. It makes the assembly process much, much faster. My friend, Claire just made a similar recipe for chile verde enchiladas, but adapted hers for the slow cooker. I think that is a fantastic idea, and I think the cooking method for my version could also easily be changed to work in the slow cooker. Black beans and steamed veggies will be our side dishes for this meal. Okay, I am done! Whew!


Jen's Easy Green Chile Pork Enchiladas

Ingredients:
1-2 lbs. of leftover pork roast (depending on how much you have on hand)
1 yellow onion, diced
8 whole, canned Hatch green chiles
2 cups of shredded cheese (I used a combo of Monterrey Jack and Cheddar)
1 (28 ounce) can of green enchilada sauce (I use Macayos brand)
8 whole wheat tortillas
cooking spray

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 9 x 13 casserole pan with cooking spray. Pour some green enchilada sauce (about 1/3 of the can) into the bottom of the casserole dish. Roll meat, onion, some cheese, and a whole green chile in a tortilla, and place seam side down in casserole pan. Repeat with all eight tortillas, until all the meat and chiles are used up. Pour remaining green enchilada sauce over top of all eight rolled enchiladas. Sprinkle any remaining onions and cheese over top of the green sauce. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, uncovered. Wait 5 minutes before cutting. Serve and enjoy!



The Result:
So easy and delicious! Everyone loved this version, so I would not hesitate to make this again. Yum!

No comments: