April 8, 2009

Salmon with Sweet & Spicy Rub (CEiMB)

I recently joined the blog group Craving Ellie in My Belly, and this is my first official recipe from that group. I am a huge fan of Ellie Krieger, so I was delighted to find an online cooking group solely dedicated to trying out her recipes. Twice a month, I will be sampling a couple of the featured dishes from that blog group. I am really excited to participate, and I think I am starting out with a really good dish to "get my feet wet".
This weeks selection is from fellow CEiMB blogger Lobster and Fishsticks. Since I have been trying to incorporate more fish in our diet, I thought this would be a great first-try recipe. I think I am going to serve my salmon with some steamed green beans and baked potato. I can't wait to report back how our meal turned out!

Salmon with Sweet & Spicy Rub
2007 Ellie Krieger, All rights reserved

Ingredients:
Cooking Spray
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 (6-ounce) salmon fillets, skin and any pin bones removed
1 tablespoon olive oil

Directions:
Coat your grill or a grill pan with cooking spray and preheat over medium heat. While the grill is heating, combine the brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Brush each salmon fillet with 1/2 teaspoon of the oil, then rub each fillet with about 1/2 tablespoon of the spice mixture.

Grill the salmon, flesh side down, until charred, 4 to 5 minutes. Flip the salmon and cook another 5 to 6 minutes for medium doneness. For well done fish, cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes. Remove to a platter and serve immediately.

Nutritional Info:
Per serving:Calories 280; Total Fat 13 g; (Sat Fat 2 g, Mono Fat 5 g, Poly Fat 5 g); Protein 34 g; Carb 5 g; Fiber 1 g; Cholesterol 95 mg; Sodium 135 mg

Excellent source of: Protein, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Pantothenic Acid, Copper, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium

Good source of: Folate, Magnesium





The Result:
This was just okay for us. Don't get me wrong...it was good. It just didn't blow our socks off. The sweet/spicy rub was nice, and the fish was perfectly cooked. Maybe I am just not in love with salmon???? I don't know...I really can't say. For a healthy recipe it did have a good flavor, but I think I have tried other comparable salmon recipes that I liked better. I really did like that it came together super-fast. Seriously, this was a breeze to make. This would be a great idea for a "go-to", "get-dinner-on-the-table-fast" type of dinner. I think I would make this again if I had all the ingredients on hand, and I needed something healthy and fast. Overall, I would say it was a solid dinner choice.

7 comments:

Marthe said...

Welcome to CEiMB!! Sorry to hear you weren't crazy about this one... I really liked the salmon!

Jessica said...

Your dish looks wonderful! Maybe try pairing it with rice or lentils, it's nice when the salmon blends in with a carby type dish.

Joanne said...

Oh we loved it. Sorry you didn't. You know, sometimes it's the fish that isn't quite top quality. Oh well... always next week.

Cathy said...

Welcome to CEiMB! I've definitely loved most Ellie recipes (although there have been a few "mehs" in there!) Sorry this didn't knock your socks off. I know that I'm just not a huge salmon lover. I'd probably like this better with a different fish, or even chicken. But I agree - you can't beat how quick and easy this one is!

Aggie said...

Welcome to the group! Glad you tried the recipe...it sounds great and I plan to make it tonight. Nice and easy, I like.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to CEiMB. I loved the rub but am not in love with salmon. However, quick, easy and healthy make a not a bad deal for me.

Sara said...

Too bad this first one wasn't a winner for you. Glad you tried it though, and it looks wonderful!