April 6, 2009

Pancakes: Jen's Version

I woke up unusually early this morning, so I decided to treat the boy and I to some homemade pancakes. Typically, I don't make pancakes so I really did not have a recipe...mornings are usually not my thing. I went to my favorite food website, recipezaar.com and found this easy pancake recipe that used ingredients that I already had on hand. It was exactly what I was looking for! I added a couple small twists, so I will note those in the ingredients list as 'optional' items. Overall, this was a fantastic and simple pancake recipe.

Pancakes: Jen's Version
adapted from recipezaar.com/recipe #25690

Ingredients:
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (optional)
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
cooking spray

Directions:
Beat egg and vanilla until fluffy with an electric mixer, whisk attachment. Add the milk and melted butter. Add dry ingredients (including sugar), cinnamon, and nutmeg; mix well. Heat a heavy griddle or fry pan which is greased with cooking spray.(The pan is hot enough when a drop of water breaks into several smaller balls which 'dance' around the pan.) Pour a small amount of batter (approx 1/4 cup) into pan and tip to spread out or spread with spoon. When bubbles appear on surface and begin to break, turn over and cook the other side. Serve immediately.


The Result:
I forgot to take a photo, but these were so good! Light, fluffy, and flavorful. I warmed up some maple syrup in the microwave and topped our pancakes with cut strawberries. So fantastically yummy! This will be my go-to pancake recipe from now on...no more mix out of the box.

No comments: