May 6, 2009

Blueberry Blast Breakfast Smoothie

I bought a huge bag of frozen blueberries at Costco, on a whim. I wasn't sure what I was going to actually do with the blueberries, but I know that blueberries are very healthy. I figured I would think of something to make with them. I mean, after all....aren't they considered a super-fruit???? I think more blueberries in our diet will be a good thing!

My first blueberry recipe is a breakfast smoothie. Morning and I are not friends. I am not a morning person, at all. I typically don't cook a big breakfast, since I am totally out of it. I usually just scavenge for easy stuff and call it breakfast. Thankfully, my son actually loves dry Cherrios. The poor kid gets a cup of milk, cut up fruit or a banana, and dry Cherrios almost every morning. Mommy pushes the button on the coffee machine, and that is it (my husband is gracious enough to set up coffee for me in the morning so I only have one button to press).

I thought these smoothies would be a good solution to our "non-breakfast" breakfasts. I can handle throwing things in a blender. Maybe.

Blueberry Blast Breakfast Smoothie
Adapted from: recipezaar.com/recipe #162425

Ingredients:
2/3 cup frozen blueberries or fresh blueberries
1/2 cup organic vanilla yogurt (can use fat free)
1 banana
1/2 cup cold fruit juice, your choice (I used apple juice)
1 tablespoon flax seed or wheat germ (I used flax seed)
1/2 teaspoon of honey or blue agave nectar (I used the nectar)

Directions:
Put ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse until it is your desired consistency. (For a thicker shake or if you use fresh berries add a few ice cubes.)

The Result:
No photo. I can't be expected to operate a camera before 9am. This is a really yummy smoothie, and one that I will make again.

1 comment:

Sara said...

This sounds great, I should be eating more things like this. Morning and I are not friends either, you might say that we are sworn enemies.