May 6, 2009

Potato Gnocchi and Mushrooms in Gorgonzola Sauce

Let me just say, I had the best lunch ever today! Seriously, the BEST! My friend Claire and I got together to do some planning for our upcoming trip to San Diego, and she made us this dish for lunch. As Claire would say, "Lordy, Mamma!" was this good. Fan-freakin'-tastic!!!! I need to make this recipe on my own and force my husband to eat it. He hates all things blue cheese related. However, this was so good I think it will be the dish to convert him into someone who is at least blue cheese tolerant. I just can't go on living without having this dish again, so he will have to put up with it.

The downside to eating a big plate of gnocchi at lunch is that I am now experiencing something close to a food-induced coma. Yup, a full belly will do that to me. I don't foresee myself leaving the couch anytime soon. Productivity just took a nose-dive for the rest of the day. Oh well, I would rather be tired and lazy from eating gnocchi, than from anything else right now.

Thanks again, Claire!!! You rock!!!

Potato Gnocchi and Mushrooms in Gorgonzola Sauce

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp olive oil
12 ounces mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 pound frozen potato gnocchi
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup milk
3 ounces Gorgonzola or other blue cheese, cut into small dice
2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
1/4 tsp salt
Generous seasoning of freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
Bring a large stockpot of water to boil. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and saute until they render their juices, then reabsorb them and begin to get dry, about 10 minutes. Stir often.

Drop the gnocchi into the boiling water and cook until tender, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic to the mushrooms and cook 2 minutes, tossing frequently. Pour in the milk and bring to a boil. Stir in the blue cheese, parsley, salt, and pepper and toss.

Drain the gnocchi and add it to the skillet. Toss 1 minute, or just until the cheese melts. Serve immediately.

Jen's Notes:
This was great as-is, but I think I will throw in some toasted walnuts when I make it. I am curious to see what a nutty crunch will do for this dish. Yum!

No comments: