May 2, 2009

Jen's Chicken Caesar Wraps

It is 4pm, and dinner has snuck up on me again.

(Yes, I actually looked up the grammatically correct way to write the "past tense of sneak"...I couldn't decide if "sneaked" or "snuck" was proper.)

("Sneaked" is the traditional past tense version, however "snuck" is the new American version...both are now considered correct.)

(Yes, I actually care.)

(Yes, I am somewhat OCD/anal-retentive.)

(Wow...that was a tangent!)

Getting back to my original point...dinner has caught me somewhat off guard again today. I just got busy and forgot that I didn't have a plan. So, I rooted through the fridge/freezer and came up with this idea. After a quick Caesar dressing recipe search, my plans were set. Whew! I don't like scrambling for last minute dinner ideas, but I think this one will turn out in my favor.

Jen's Chicken Caesar Wraps

Ingredients:
1 bag of romaine lettuce
1/2 red onion, sliced in thin strips
2 tomatoes, sliced into half-moon wedges
1 package of chicken tenders
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
shaved Parmesan cheese
whole wheat tortillas
Caesar dressing (recipe below)

Directions:
Remove/discard tendons from all chicken tender pieces. Place chicken tenders on a baking sheet and coat with salt, pepper, and olive oil. Broil on high for approximately 5-7 minutes or until cooked through (165 degrees F). When finished, remove baking sheet from oven and set aside.

To assemble wraps: Place 1-2 cooked chicken pieces on tortillas. Then, top with lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, shaved Parmesan cheese, and Caesar dressing. Wrap like a burrito, and cut in half diagonally down the center. Enjoy!

Original Cesar Cardini Caesar Salad Dressing
Adapted from: recipezaar.com

Ingredients:
1-2 garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
4 1/2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, shredded not grated
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1 egg yolk

Directions:
In a food processor, combine all ingredients except for the olive oil. While food processor is running, pour oil through lid insert to form an emulsion. Store in an air tight container and refrigerate for one to two weeks.

Jen's Notes:
The recipe indicates that you can add 3-4 finely minced anchovies (or paste) and/or 4 1/2 tablespoons of bacon bits to the dressing for a more authentic flavor (OPTIONAL).



The Result:
I used to make these wraps all the time when I was single. Back then, I would use either bottled Caesars or Italian salad dressing, and the pre-cooked, refrigerated, chicken breast strips. Let me just say, these are way better than I remembered them to be...especially with the addition of the homemade Caesar dressing and my freshly cooked chicken. It is amazing how much difference non-packaged/non-processed ingredients improve the flavor of a simple recipe!
This meal was super-fast to put together, filling, and satisfying. We loved these wraps!!! I am so glad I pulled these out of my hat tonight, because they were exactly what I was looking for in a quick and easy dinner.

No comments: