May 9, 2009

Jerk Chicken with Cool Pineapple Salsa (CEiMB)

I am leaving for San Diego tomorrow and I won't be home for the Craving Ellie in My Belly recipe that I chose for our group, so I decided to make it early. I also needed something for dinner tonight, and I thought why not kill two proverbial birds with one stone. See, I am always thinking!!! I am going to leave the commentary short, because I have a ton of packing to do and I am still feeling kinda crappy overall. Procrastination has always been my strong suit!!!

Jerk Chicken with Cool Pineapple Salsa (CEiMB)
2007, Ellie Krieger, All rights reserved

Ingredients:
For the salsa:
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 cup finely diced pineapple
1/3 cup finely diced, seeded English cucumber
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
For the chicken:
4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, about 5 ounces each, pounded to 1/2-inch thick
1 cup chopped scallions (about 6 scallions)
1/2 Scotch bonnet or habanero chile pepper, seeded and finely minced (wear gloves when handling)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger, or 1/4 teaspoon ground
1 teaspoon allspice
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice

Directions:
For the salsa:
In a small bowl whisk together the honey and the lime juice. Combine the pineapple, cucumber and mint in a medium bowl, pour the dressing over and toss to combine. Set aside.

For the chicken:
Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large skillet over a medium-high heat. Add the chicken breasts and cook for about 4 minutes on each side, or until browned and cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.

Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil to the pan. Stir in the scallions, pepper, garlic, ginger, allspice, and thyme. Cook for 30 seconds over a medium heat. Add the chicken broth and soy sauce and cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Stir in the lime juice. Put the chicken back in the pan and coat well with the sauce.

Serve with the pineapple salsa.

Yield: 4 servings (1 serving is 1 chicken breast, 2 tablespoons of sauce and 1/3 cup of salsa)





The Result:
I thought this dish was good, but my husband was not crazy about it. He is a hater of all things cucumber, so it was hard to convince him that the dish was good. I liked the complex blend of flavors...sweet, spicy, savory. My husband is more of a fan of clean flavors, so again not a winner for him. Honestly, his personal preference is not to mix spicy/sweet combinations, and he is not a fan of fruit and meat together either. Picky, picky! I love all those little complex tidbits of taste, so this dish was most satisfying for me. I served this dish with a side of some broad green beans and a small baked potato. Yum! Despite the mixed reviews from my family members, I liked this dish a lot and thought it had an interesting punch.

5 comments:

Sara said...

Looks great. Glad to hear the you enjoyed it. I have been looking at this recipe for a while, but I am not sure how we will feel about the flavor combo's like your husband. Have a great trip!

Anonymous said...

I think we will really enjoy the mix of flavors. I'm in SC
With my parents and sister so I'm hoping to get everyone involved in the prep and cooking. If they don't like it...I won't be able to take all the blame. Method to my madness :)
Have a great vacation

Jessica said...

I'm so excited about this pick! I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to make it right on time but it's definitely one of the recipes in the book that looks really, really yummy to me.

farah said...

Thanks for a great pick. I don't think i would have made this normally but i'm so glad i did, it was yummy :)

Anonymous said...

I loved this pick. How you have a great trip.