July 22, 2009

Saito Chicken & Grilled Corn, Avocado, and Tomato Salad with Honey Lime Dressing

This is probably my favorite grilled chicken recipe. My friend, Claire introduced it to me a year or so ago, and now it is a summertime staple at our house. It combines everything I love about hot weather food...it's cooked on the grill, easy to put together, and super-tasty. My picky (but lovable) mother in law even likes it! (That is a true stamp of approval, because she is very discerning when it comes to what she eats!!!) Paired with a cool salad it is all you need for a scorching, end-of-July dish.

Saito Chicken

Ingredients:
Chicken parts of your choice
1/2 c. oil
1/3 c. lemon juice,
1/4 c. soy sauce
1 or 2 crushed garlic cloves
1 tsp. ground ginger
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Mix and pour over chicken. Let marinate at least an hour, flipping chicken after 30 minutes. Grill 5-7 minutes each side on medium heat OR until no longer pink in middle.

***********************************************************

Now for that cool, summer salad...

I came across this salad recipe this morning on a blog I read called For the Love of Cooking. The photos of this dish made my mouth water, so I knew I had to build my dinner around this salad. Seriously, this salad looks luscious!!! It seems that Pam from For the Love of Cooking got this dish from a different blog that she references called Jehan Can Cook. Either way, it is a great idea and it is now going to be recycled yet again here on my blog. I cannot wait to sink my teeth into this salad!!!

Grilled Corn, Avocado and Tomato Salad with Honey Lime Dressing

Ingredients for salad:
pint grape tomatoes cut in halves
1 ripe avocado, roughly chopped
2 ears of fresh sweet corn
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped

Directions:
Slice the tomatoes in half. Remove husks from corn and grill over medium heat for 10 minutes. The corn should have some brown spots and be tender and not mushy. Cut the corn off the cob then scrape the cob with the back of your knife to get the juices. Set aside and let cool. Dice the avocado and chop the cilantro.

Honey Lime Dressing

Ingredients for dressing:
Juice of 1 lime
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp honey
Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
1 clove garlic, minced
Dash of cayenne pepper

Directions:
Add all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.

Combine the sliced tomatoes, avocado, cilantro and grilled corn and honey lime dressing and mix gently so everything is evenly coated. Be careful not to mash the avocados. Let the salad sit for 10-15 minutes to let flavors mingle. Enjoy.



The Result:
I was right about this corn salad...it was mouth watering. Fan-freakin'-tastic! We loved it so much, there was barely any left for the husband to take in his lunch. I think I might make another batch either tonight or tomorrow; just so we have it on hand. The chicken was moist and delicious as usual, and the corn salad went well with it. Overall, this was an awesome and simple meal. Yum! Yum! Yum!

1 comment:

The Meal Planner said...

I've been following For the Love of Cooking for about a month now and I just love it. I have so many of her Mexican recipes bookmarked. This looks like one healthy and scrumptious meal, great job.