This is one of our favorite family recipes, that we haven't had in awhile. Since the temperature here in Phoenix has cooled down to a brisk 97 degrees, I figured soup would be in order for tonight's dinner. After all, soup is the best way to celebrate fall weather, right???? Seriously, this is a yummy dish that even my three year old loves. The best part is that it is so incredibly easy that it is practically foolproof!
Jen's Chicken Tortilla Soup
2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
1 medium onion, diced
2-3 cloves of minced garlic
1 container of salsa
6 regular cans of chicken broth (or 2 large)
1 lime, juiced
1 bag of tortilla chips
¼ cup of fresh Cilantro
* hot Sauce to taste
* shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese to taste
* cooked chicken to taste (I usually dice up 2-3 cooked chicken breasts)
1. In a large stock pot, heat olive oil.
2. When oil is heated, sauté onions until translucent.
3. Add garlic and sauté for a few more minutes.
4. Add cooked chicken, chicken broth, salsa and bring to a boil.
5. Once boiling, add cilantro, lime juice, and hot sauce to taste.
6. In individual serving bowls, place some tortilla chips in bottom and sprinkle with Monterrey Jack cheese.
7. Pour the hot soup over the chips and top with more cheese (if desired) and serve!