October 13, 2009

Jen's Chicken Noodle Soup

I have been craving homemade chicken noodle soup lately, and I thought that tonight would be a good night to experiment with a recipe. I think I will play around with the flavors until I come up with what I want. After all, I know approximately what goes into chicken noodle soup...how difficult could it be, really?!?

I don't have traditional egg noodles stocked in my pantry, but I do have fun alphabet shaped pasta from Trader Joe's. I figure the boy will like the letter shapes, and I will have a better chance of escaping dinner time without an ensuing battle. I think I will keep things simple and just bake up some canned biscuits to go on the side. Yum...comfort food at it's best!

I will have to post a recipe after our meal, since I am not exactly sure how I am going to put the soup together. Wish me luck...I will let you know how it all turns out later!

********************************************************

Here is the final product!

Jen’s Chicken Noodle Soup

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons Canola oil, more if needed
2 chicken breasts, cubed
½ cup of flour
1 small onion, diced finely
2 stalks of celery, diced finely
1-2 cups of cooked, sliced carrots (I used leftovers)
2 cloves of garlic, minced finely
2 teaspoons paprika, divided
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon Onion powder, divided
1 teaspoon Garlic powder, divided
½ teaspoon of Dried thyme
6 cups of homemade chicken stock
1 teaspoon of white wine vinegar
Pasta of your choice (I used organic alphabet pasta,but egg noodles would be ideal)

Directions:
In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat. While oil is heating, combine flour, 1 tsp paprika, salt, pepper, ½ tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp garlic powder in a shallow bowl. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and dredge in flour mixture, shaking off any excess. Brown chicken pieces in oil and remove to a separate dish. Add a little more oil, if needed. Sauté onions, carrots, and celery until soft. Using a wooden spoon, scrape up any brown bits stuck on the bottom of the pan and mix in with the vegetables. Make a spot in bottom of pan and add garlic. Sauté garlic for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant (do not brown or burn garlic). Season with salt and pepper. Add chicken back to the pot, and stir to combine. Add chicken stock. Add remaining paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and dried thyme. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Add white wine vinegar. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
While soup is simmering, bring a pot full of salted water to a boil and cook desired pasta. When pasta is cooked al dente, add to soup mixture. Stir to combine. Serve with hot buttered biscuits and enjoy!



The Result:
This was soooooo freakin' yummy! My soup turned out exactly how I wanted it...I love it when that happens! This was a hearty, comforting soup that went perfect with our buttered biscuits. Again, yum. I am debating if I want to have the leftovers for lunch this week, or freeze them for an other meal. Hmmmm... either way, this soup was delish.

No comments: