January 5, 2010

Jen's Grilled Steak Kabobs

We are having warm weather here in AZ (not that it is ever "cold", but it has been in the 70's this week), so we decided to grill something for dinner tonight. I rummaged through my freezer and found some cubed beef (or steak) that I got on sale a couple of weeks ago. I didn't mark on the package exactly what kind of beef (or steak) it is, but I think it is cubed sirloin. I could be wrong, though. I figured we could spear it on a stick and grill it up no matter what it is. I concocted an easy marinade, so all I have to do later is cut up the veggies and assemble the kabobs. The husband will take care of the grilling part. I plan on serving these grilled beef skewers with a saffron rice mix I have on hand, and some steamed veggies.

Jen's Grilled Steak Kabobs

Ingredients:
1 lb. of cubed steak, marinated (sirloin, rib eye, etc.)
1 red onion
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
6 oz. of whole button mushrooms
meat marinade of your choice (see mine below)

For Marinade:
2 Tablespoons of olive oil
1 Tablespoon of Heinz 57 (or your favorite steak sauce)
1 Tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
1 Teaspoon of red wine vinegar
2-3 dashes of Tabasco sauce (or other hot sauce)
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
1/2 teaspoon of paprika
small pinch of kosher salt
Lawry's Seasoned Salt to taste
black pepper to taste

Directions:
Place meat in zip top bag with all marinade ingredients. Marinate meat for 4 hours in fridge. Take meat out of fridge and bring to room temp approximately 1/2 hour before cooking.

Cut up red and yellow peppers, mushrooms if needed, and red onion into bite sized chunks. Lightly coat cut veggies with oil and season with salt and pepper. Skewer marinated meat cubes onto steel or bamboo skewers, alternating with veggies (if you are using bamboo skewers, remember to soak them in water a couple hours before cooking so they don't burn on the grill). Grill over medium heat, until meat reaches desired doneness and veggies are cooked, but firm. Rest meat for 5-10 minutes and then serve.





The Result:
I was right...I have no idea what type of meat I used. All I know is that it was not sirloin. The meat must have been some sort of stew meat. It was flavorful, but not tender. I would even venture to call it chewy. Thankfully, it was edible...AND despite the texture problems...these kabobs were quite good. My poor kid had some trouble getting the meat to go down (I made sure to cut his into tiny pieces so he wouldn't choke). Next time, I will make sure to use the proper cut of meat. Duh!

Okay, other than the meat issue...these were really good and easy to assemble and cook. The husband said that the flavor was probably the best that he has ever had on a kabob. I think I will do these over again soon with the right cut of meat. Then, my rating can be bumped up to fan-freakin'-tastic. If these look good to you, I would suggest trying them. Just make sure to not be a total airhead like me, and pay attention to the meat you are buying/using.

No comments: