April 29, 2010

Ravioli Primavera with Creamy Pesto Sauce

I picked a tortellini recipe out of my Cooking Light 5 Ingredient, 15 Minute cookbook, only to find that I did not have three of the five ingredients required for the dish. Instead, I made my own version, which I probably turned out better than the original dish would have tasted anyway. I will post the link for the original recipe and then type put my take on it below.

Here is the original Cooking Light recipe that I used as a template...

Tortellini Primavera with Pesto Sauce

Now here is what I did...

Ravioli Primavera with Creamy Pesto Sauce

Ingredients:
1 package of frozen cheese and spinach ravioli (I like Fresh & Easy brand)
2 Tablespoons of olive oil
1/2 onion, sliced thinly into half moon shapes
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
1 bunch of asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 handful of sugar snap peas, ends removed
1/2 cup of fat-free, plain Greek-style yogurt
3 Tablespoons of pesto sauce
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese, grated

Directions:
Mix the plain yogurt and pesto in a large bowl and set aside to form the sauce (this can also be refridgerated). Next, heat the oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, saute onions, red bell pepper, and sugar snap peas. Season veggies with a pinch of salt while cooking. Once veggies start to soften, add in garlic and cook for another couple of minutes. Veggies should still be crisp, but cooked tender and bright in color. Turn heat off and let veggie mix cool for 5 minutes or so. Meanwhile, cook the ravioli according to package directions. Once veggies are cooled slightly and ravioli are cooked, add both items to bowl with pesto-yogurt sauce and toss to combine. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Top with Parmesan cheese and serve.



The Result:
This dish was creamy and decadent, and did not taste "healthy" (that is a compliment, by the way). We all thought this pasta recipe was really yummy, and it was another vegetarian option that my family gobbled up. This is another keeper to add to my vegetarian bag-o'-tricks!

No comments: