May 11, 2010

Apple and Horseradish-Glazed Salmon

Since my last salmon recipe was such a disaster, I feel I need to redeem myself in the fish-cooking department. I found this recipe in The Best of Cooking Light Everyday Favorites cookbook, and thought that it was an unusual take on salmon. The flavors of this dish really intrigued me, but it still looks to be fairly simple to prepare. This dinner should help me get over "the salmon fiasco" of last week, and provide a healthful meal, as well. I have a fitness boot camp/bible study starting up tonight; and since I need to eat before I go, I didn't want anything heavy weighing me down. I figured that this dish would do the trick. Brown rice and salad and/or steamed veggies will complete our dinner. I will report back with the results later. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Apple and Horseradish-Glazed Salmon
From: Cooking Light, May 2004

Ingredients:
1/3 cup apple jelly
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets (about 1 inch thick), skinned
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons olive oil

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine apple jelly, chives, horseradish, vinegar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt, stirring well with a whisk.

Sprinkle salmon with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add salmon, and cook 3 minutes. Turn salmon over; brush with half of apple mixture. Wrap handle of skillet with foil; bake at 350° for 5 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Brush with remaining apple mixture.

Nutritional Information:
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 fillet)
Calories:375 (40% from fat)
Fat:16.8g (sat 4.3g,mono 7.7g,poly 3.4g)
Protein:36.4g
Carbohydrate:18.1g
Fiber:0.1g
Cholesterol:90mg
Iron:0.7mg
Sodium:376mg
Calcium:30mg



The Result:
I love being introduced to new food combinations that I would have never had thought to put together on my own! The flavors were a mellow blend of savory/sweet/tangy/hot...all at the same time. It was really sort of unique (in a good way). I can say that the flavor profile wasn't like anything I have ever had before; and I really liked that about it. I couldn't find apple jelly, so I substituted apple butter instead. The finished product was really not a glaze, but more like a topping or a sauce. It was still really yummy; and something that I would substitute again, if needed. Overall, this was a very enjoyable dish.

No comments: