June 15, 2010

Jen's Slow Cooker Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches

Here is an easy recipe that I like to throw together for sandwiches. Even though it is not very "Philly" authentic, it is still a yummy, family-pleasing, favorite. Everything cooks in the slow cooker, so it is a great dish when you are short on time later in the afternoons/evenings. I love the flexibility of putting a meal together earlier in the day; especially on days when we have multiple activities planned. I think I may roast some asparagus to go as a side dish for these sandwiches.

Jen's Slow Cooker Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches

Ingredients:
cooking spray
1 large onion, sliced
2 green peppers, cut into strips
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1/4 cup of chicken broth
a few shakes of Worcestershire sauce
a few shakes of your favorite steak sauce (I used A1)
a few shakes of low sodium soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste
2 lbs. of round steak, cut into strips (I put mine in frozen)
1 can of sliced mushrooms, drained *OR* 1 (6 oz.) package of fresh button mushrooms
paprika
onion powder
garlic powder
Lawry's Seasoned Salt
dry powdered mustard
hot dog buns or sandwich rolls
provolone cheese slices

Directions:
Spray inside of large slow cooker with cooking spray. Place sliced onions, peppers, and garlic in the bottom of the slow cooker. Add salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, steak sauce, soy sauce, and chicken broth. Stir to combine. Add frozen round steak on top of onion/pepper mixture. Sprinkle paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, Lawry's Seasoned salt, and dry mustard over top of the meat. Layer mushrooms over the top of the seasoned meat. Cook on high for 5-6 hours, or until round steak is cooked and tender. Remove meat and veggie mixture with a slotted spoon from the slow cooker to a bowl or a platter and save cooking liquids. Serve mixture on buns with a slice of cheese and top with cooking juices, if desired.

Jen's Notes:
I don't really measure; I just eyeball everything. I probably use about a teaspoon of each of the spices. Use as much or as little as you like to suit your tastes...this recipe is really just a template.

The Result:
I didn't take a photo because, honestly, these were somewhat unremarkable. They were decent enough beef sandwiches, but nothing praise-worthy. The last time I made them, I remembered them tasting a lot better. I wonder what the difference was??? Hmmmm...I couldn't tell you. Anyway, these are good slow cooker sandwiches; but not great.

No comments: