June 24, 2010

Stepping Back...

I have been feeling overwhelmed lately. Three kids, a house, marriage, pets, friends, family, focusing on getting myself back into shape, and getting acclimated to a new church, is all taking it's toll on me. I am tackling lots of life changes in a relatively short period of time. While I enjoy blogging, it is quickly slipping from my daily priorities. To be brutally honest, I have just gotten really, really lazy with it. I have always viewed this blog as a personal archive of recipes, more than anything else. Most of my favorites and things that are in regular meal rotation have already been posted...and posted, and posted, and posted some more. The weekly menu plan isn't as efficient as I hoped it would be, and is also becoming very redundant. I have decided that I don't want to continue with the same lackluster posts that I have been prone to doing lately.

Okay, I am beating around the proverbial bush now...

What I am trying to convey is that I am taking a step back from my blog for awhile. I am not ready to give it up completely; but I am not sure how I want to proceed with it, either. I really don't want to expand this site any further; and I am finding that I don't have the time, energy, or attention span, to keep it fresh and interesting. I am at an obvious standstill. I have decided I need to take a step back and figure out what I want to do with this blog in both the long and short terms. Right now, it has stopped being a fun hobby and started feeling more like another chore to check off my "to-do" list. I am enjoying it less and less, and it is showing with each and every post. I think I just need some time to focus on other aspects of my life right now. I am hoping that by taking a break, I will get a renewed sense of purpose, and be able to re-energize my efforts.

As I said, I am not ready to give it up completely. I think I may continue to post just the new and fantastic meals/recipes that we try, and leave it at that. I think posting less frequently will help preserve the quality of the overall content, and give me time to decide what I really want to do with my blog. There will be no set schedule of updates, so I won't feel pressured to catalog every (sometimes mundane) detail of our daily/weekly menu plans. It may be weeks or months between posts, but I promise to make it count when I do post an update. I plan to only post the awesome and noteworthy from here on out. If I do happen to get the cooking bug, then I will be sure to post more often. There are still so many new foods that I want to try, so I don't envision this pause to be any sort of abrupt ending. After all, I still love to cook! For now, I am just going to take my time and only update with recipes that I truly love and want to share.

No comments: