June 2, 2010

Thai Green Curry Shrimp

This is another one of those cheater recipes. I impulsively purchased a jar of Mai Pham Thai Green Curry Base at Williams-Sonoma, and I wanted to use it right away so I could see what it was all about. I doctored up the sauce base and this is what I came up with for our dinner. I served it over some brown rice for a quick and easy supper.

Thai Green Curry Shrimp

Ingredients:
cooking spray
1/2 cup of diced red onions
1 clove of minced garlic
1 jar of Mai Pham Thai Green Curry Base OR any green curry sauce of your choice
1 bag of large frozen raw shrimp
1 can of light coconut milk
1 teaspoon of curry powder
1/2 teaspoon of Siracha hot sauce
1 cup of cooked green beans (I used frozen and steamed them in the microwave)
1 cup of cooked peas (I used frozen and steamed them in the microwave)
salt to taste
cooked brown rice
fresh cilantro, for garnish

Directions:
Spray skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium high heat. Add diced red onion to pan and cook until soft and translucent. Add garlic and cook for another minute. Add coconut milk, curry powder, Siracha, and Thai Green Curry Base. Stir and reduce by half. Turn heat down to medium low and add green beans, peas, and shrimp. Simmer until shrimp are pink and cooked through. Season with salt to taste. Serve over cooked brown rice and garnish with fresh cilantro, if desired.



The Result:
This was a yummy and easy dinner. Nothing super-fantastic, but good. I would make it again, if I had a jar of sauce on hand; but I don't know if I would go out of my way to make it specifically. For a fast, thrown-together, meal it certainly met my expectations, and I don't know if I would do anything different to change it. Overall, I would say it was good, but not great.

No comments: