October 4, 2010

Simple Jambalaya with Shrimp & Sausage

I don't think I have publicly proclaimed my love for my new, iPhone 4. Well, here it goes...I LOVE IT!!! I now realize that previous to getting the iPhone 4, my life was just a shallow and empty shell. (Not really.) One of the reasons why I heart my iPhone is the "apps". I freakin' love the apps. The app in which I am particularly fond of this evening, is the Whole Foods Market Recipe app. It is where I found tonight's yummy dinner. I did a quick search for "andouille", and a bunch of yummy stuff popped right up. I had all the ingredients on hand for this dish, so this is the one that I chose. While this dish won't win any awards for the most authentic jambalaya; I am pleased to say that it was really, really tasty, easy, and fast.

This is something that I will definitely make again!

PS-If you do not have an iPhone, Whole Foods Market publishes the same recipes on their website as they have on the app. No deprivation required! The app just makes it easier to get their recipes on the go.

I love technology!

Simple Jambalaya with Shrimp & Sausage
Adapted From: Whole Foods Market Recipes 2.0 app for iPhone --OR-- wholefoodsmarket.com

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup diced onion
1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
1/2 cup diced carrots
Salt and pepper, to taste
6 ounces of chicken andouille sausage, sliced in 1-inch pieces
2 cups of cooked brown rice (I used microwavable par-cooked brown rice)
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles (I used Rotel)
1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth (I used homemade chicken stock)
1 pound (16-20 count) fresh raw shrimp, peeled and deveined (I used frozen)
1 Tablespoon of Tony Chacehere's Creole Seasoning (use more if you like it spicy)

Directions:
Heat oil in 4-quart pan over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrots; season with salt and pepper. Cover; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sausage; cook 2 minutes. Add rice, tomatoes, broth and shrimp; stir to evenly distribute. Cover; cook 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning with creole seasoning, salt and pepper as desired. Serve immediately.



The Result:
I can't believe how easy and fast this was to construct! Also, the flavor was awesome. Homey and comforting, with just the right amount of spicy heat. Yum!!!

No comments: