October 2, 2010

Spicy Shrimp Noodle Bowl

A few of my girlfriends and I went out to lunch and shoe shopping today. We deemed the day, "Shoefest 2010". I ended up purchasing 5 pairs of very cute designer shoes, all for a song. Since I knew I would be coming home late and fairly tired from hunting down fabulous shoes all day, I wanted something easy to put together for our family meal. Once again, I turned to my October issue of Cooking Light magazine and found this recipe. I wasn't sure how this was going to turn out, but this dish was another hit! I am so happy to have Cooking Light as a resource for such healthy and yummy food!!!

Spicy Shrimp Noodle Bowl
From: Cooking Light magazine, Oct 2010 issue

Ingredients:
1 pound tail-on peeled and deveined medium shrimp
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
1 (8-ounce) bottle clam juice
2 (1/4-inch-thick) slices peeled fresh ginger
1 teaspoon olive oil
3/4 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
1/4 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
1 garlic clove,minced
1/2 cup sugar snap peas
2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce or 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 ounces uncooked rice sticks
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
Lime wedges

Directions:
1. Remove shrimp tails; set aside. Combine shrimp tails, water, broth, clam juice, and ginger in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Strain broth mixture through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids.

2. Heat olive oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper, yellow onion, and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Add reserved broth; bring to a simmer. Add shrimp, peas, chili garlic sauce, salt, and noodles; cook 5 minutes or until noodles are done. Ladle 1 1/4 cups soup into each of 4 bowls; top each serving with 1 1/2 teaspoons cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.

Nutritional Information:
Yield: 4 servings
Calories:236
Fat:3.6g (sat 0.7g,mono 1.3g,poly 1g)
Protein:26.5g
Carbohydrate:25.4g
Fiber:1.9g
Cholesterol:174mg
Iron:3.7mg
Sodium:506mg
Calcium:84mg



The Result:
I was skeptical of this one...but it turned out great! It was sooooo good, and my 4 year old son even loved it! The broth totally made this dish; it was drinkable. The whole recipe took about 30 minutes, but tasted much more difficult and complex. I love the flavor-layering that Asian food sometimes infuses within itself, and this dish was no exception. This recipe looked deceivingly simple, but packed a big flavor punch!

1 comment:

Claire said...

Yum! It looks like a yummy soup you'd get in a Thai restaurant.