November 3, 2010

Quick Chile Relleno Casserole

I am a little behind on some dinner updates, and I almost completely forgot about posting this recipe. Oops! I am going to attribute my forgetfulness to being forced to keep up with my three crazy kids all the time. It drains me. Luckily, I looked on my camera for last night's dinner and found the photos I saved from this dish. I am really glad that I didn't totally space it; since this casserole was really good, and something that I want to make again. I swear, I used to have such a great memory!!! I am hoping that someday my mommy-brain will go away and I will return back to my normal,lucid self (i.e. pre-kids). Maybe when they all go off to college???? Fingers crossed.

My friend, Claire recently made this dish and I felt that I had to try it. My instincts were correct; this was a fantastic and easy version of Chile Rellenos. I only varied Claire's adapted version slightly, with yummy results. A mixed greens salad rounded out this meal.

Quick Chile Relleno Casserole
Adapted From: Quick Chile Relleno Casserole on Food.com via Cooking Claire

Ingredients:
6 whole Anaheim chiles
4 ounces 2% reduced-fat monterey jack cheese, sliced
2 eggs
1/2 cup of egg whites
1/3 cup fat-free milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup 2% reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:
Roast chiles under the broiler or over gas flame until skin is charred. Place chiles in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let stand at least 10 minutes. Remove skins from chiles while trying to keep chiles intact. Cut a slit in each chile, remove seeds, and stuff with sliced cheese.

Coat an 11x7 baking dish with nonstick spray. Place chiles in prepared dish.

Beat eggs with whisk or electric mixer until thick and foamy. Add milk, flour, and baking powder and beat until smooth. Pour mixture over chiles. Top with cheddar cheese.

Bake, uncovered, in a 375F oven for about 30 minutes or until casserole is puffed and appears set when gently shaken.



The Result:
If you love Chile Rellenos, but don't want to fuss with the labor-intensive, original version, then this casserole is for you. The flavors are great and it is definitely more healthful. Yum!

No comments: