February 15, 2011

Jen's Veal Scallopine with Marsala Portobellos

I bought some veal on clearance the other day without a real plan for it. Since veal is somewhat special and hard to come by, I decided to save it and make something for Valentine's Day dinner with it. I didn't feel like messing around with a recipe, so I thought I would challenge myself with some creative cooking. This is what I came up with; and I must say, it was sooooo good! Some roasted asparagus as a side dish made this a lovely meal that the family and I really enjoyed. My baby girls especially loved it, so I was pretty happy with the result.

Jen's Veal Scallopine with Marsala Portobellos

Ingredients:
1-2 lbs. of thin-cut veal scallopine
1/2 cup of AP flour
1/2 cup of bread crumbs (I used whole wheat)
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon of paprika
1 teaspoon of dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
2 Tablespoons of butter
1 Tablespoon of olive oil
2 portobello mushroom caps, sliced
1 cup of Marsala wine

Directions:
In a shallow dish, combine bread crumbs, flour, salt, pepper, oregano, paprika, and garlic powder. Dredge both sides of the veal into the flour mixture, shaking off any excess coating.

In a large skillet, melt butter and olive oil together over medium-high heat. Brown veal for 2 minutes on each side.(Veal scallopine is really thin, so it cooks fast. Don't overcook it or it will become tough.) Remove from pan to plate lined with paper towels to blot the excess oil,0.2 and set aside. In the same skillet, add mushrooms to the pan (there should still be oil/butter mixture leftover.) Add a pinch of salt and saute the mushrooms for about 5 minutes or until soft and giving off their liquid. Add Marsala wine to pan and cook until reduced to about 1/3 to 1/4 cup. Place cooked veal on a plate and top with the mushroom and wine mixture. Serve immediately.



The Result:
This was really great, and best of all, fast and easy to put together. I tasted and looked way more complex than it was to prepare. As I said, we all loved this dinner; including my kids. Although, we omitted the wine-soaked mushrooms for the little ones. (That was totally okay with me, because that just meant more wine-soaked mushrooms for myself and the hubs.) ;)

No comments: