May 8, 2011

Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Cups

I totally got on a "I-really-need-to-start-my-week-out-right" organizational kick today. I think it's because my house is in disarray, and my goal is to get everything back into a manageable state. I decided I needed to pin down breakfast and lunch choices for the week, since those are the two meals that always seem to send me scrambling. My rationale is that I will have two less things to worry about and I can fill that time with more productive tasks; like de-cluttering. That's the dream, anyway...we'll see how it goes. In the meantime, here are some yummy make-ahead breakfast cups.

Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Cups
Adapted From: food.com #109385; papergoddess on January 24, 2005

Ingredients:
5 ounces turkey sausage
1/2 cup of jarred, roasted red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 onion, chopped
6 large eggs
1 cup of egg whites
1 (6 oz) package of fresh, sliced button mushrooms
1 cup shredded low-fat sharp cheddar cheese (2 oz.)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325°F.

Coat a 6 cup non-stick muffin pan with cooking spray (or line with paper baking cups).

In a medium non-stick skillet, cook the sausage, mushrooms, peppers, and onions for 5 minutes, or until sausage is no longer pink.

Spoon mixture into bottoms of muffin cups, divided evenly and cool slightly.

In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites and eggs together until beaten and well combined.

Pour beaten eggs into each muffin cup, topping the sausage mixture until cup is almost full.

Sprinkle cheese evenly on top of each muffin cup, and bake for 20 minutes or until egg is set.

Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Remove from muffin tins and store in a zip top bag or a plastic storage container for later. Reheat in the microwave for 30 seconds and serve when ready.



The Result:
These were easy to put together and I love the idea of having easy breakfast items on hand. I think my batch yielded about 18 muffin cups. Yum! I can't wait for breakfast tomorrow.

No comments: