May 13, 2011

South Beach Stuffed Peppers

I found this SBD recipe on my friend, Claire's blog. It was really tasty and something my whole family enjoyed. Can I say that I am so happy that low-fat cheese is not off limits on SBD, because we are cheese fiends at my house. I swear cheese makes almost everything taste better. I think SBD should be renamed the "Cheese Lovers Diet", because all the fantastic recipes that I have tried have had cheese in them. Okay,okay...maybe it's because I am just picking the recipes with cheese in them. Anyway, this is another SBD keeper!

South Beach Stuffed Peppers
From Food.com, via the Cooking Claire blog

Ingredients:
4 bell peppers
olive oil
1 lb ground turkey
1 stalk celery, chopped with top
1 -2 garlic clove, minced
1 small onion, chopped
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Spike All Purpose Seasoning (for zest)
28 ounces ground peeled tomatoes
1/2 cup shredded cheese (or more)

Directions:
Wash the peppers, cut the tops off, and place in oiled glass dish. Cover and microwave the peppers for 5 minutes.

Saute the veggies and ground turkey with a dollop of olive oil. (I chop up the usable remainders of the pepper tops as well). Add the tomatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes to evaporate some of the liquid.

Stuff the peppers and top with cheese. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until the peppers are soft and the cheese is toasted.

Add Ins: You could add cooked rice or stir in extra cheese to the mixture before baking.



The Result:
Darn it! I forgot to put the celery in the meat mixture. Ugh. I bought it especially for this recipe, too. I hate it when I do stuff like that!

These peppers were really yummy, and easy to make. I only made three actual peppers, and just served my kids the filling with a side of green beans. They wouldn't eat the pepper anyway, so I didn't want to waste it. I didn't have Spike All Purpose Seasoning, so I just improvised and sprinkled a little Lawry's Seasoned Salt and some Tony Chachere's in it. I think you could probably substitute almost any seasoning mix and it would be fine. Again, this was a hit with my family and a great new take on stuffed peppers.

No comments: