May 13, 2011

BLT Lettuce Wraps

I had half of a leftover head of lettuce in my fridge from last night's dinner, and I decided that I could probably come up with something to do with it. After all, wasting food is not really my gig. So, I did some searching on food.com (which happens to have a ton of SBD recipes on it) and found these easy-to-put-together wraps.

BLT Lettuce Wraps
Adapted From: Food.com, By: KVasanth on August 27, 2007

Ingredients:
4 slices bacon (turkey bacon is recommended, but I used Applewood Smoked bacon)
4 leaves red leaf or iceburg lettuce
1 tomato, sliced thinly
2 tablespoons mayo (fat-free preferred)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Cook bacon in the microwave between paper towel sheets in order to get it crispy. (I don't like microwaved bacon, so I cook it either in a pan or bake it in the oven).

Rinse and dry lettuce leaves. Carefully break the spines of each leaves in multiple places so that it rolls easily.

Spread mayonnaise on leaves (as you would on bread). Sprinkle tomatoes with salt and pepper to taste.

Add one slice of bacon per each lettuce leaf. Top with sliced tomato, roll and eat!

The Result:
I didn't take a photo, but these were really good. They were just as satisfying as a normal BLT sandwich, and I didn't miss the bread at all. This was a great way to use up some of my leftover lettuce. Yum!

No comments: