June 5, 2011

Mary's Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup

Now that the weather is getting hot, I start thinking about recipes that don't require me to use our regular oven as much. Anything that can be cooked on the grill, or in the slow cooker, comes in handy in the depths of the scorching Arizona summer. The last thing I want to deal with when it is 467 degrees outside (and my kids are crazy from being cooped up inside all day) is a warm kitchen. I seriously don't know how people coped with living in this climate before air conditioning was invented. I guess they were a lot tougher than I am...I don't think I would have made it.

Thankfully, my friend Mary passed along this tasty and easy soup recipe that fits into my idea of summer cooking. Whenever one of our friends needs a dinner, Mary takes them this fantastic meal in a bowl. It has become a meal support staple among our mom's group. I love that it is made from all things that we usually have on hand; which is a bonus on a busy night. Just throw it in the slow cooker and dinner makes itself without fuss...and without making the house unbearably hot.

Mary's Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup

Ingredients:
3-4 chicken breasts (frozen are okay)
2 cans corn (I used frozen corn)
2 cans chicken broth (14oz)
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 can stewed tomatoes (blended)
1 can cream of potato soup
1 can green chiles
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1 can tomato sauce (8oz)
16 oz light sour cream
1 handful of chopped cilantro, for garnish
tortilla chips, for garnish
diced avocados, for garnish
additional shredded cheese, for garnish

Directions:
Put all ingredients in the crock pot, with the exception of the sour cream, cheese, and cilantro. Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours. Take out the chicken and shred it. Add the tub of sour cream (***temper in the sour cream so it doesn't curdle***). Garnish the soup with cilantro, cheese, avocados, and chips.

The Result:
I forgot to take a photo, but this soup looked and tasted delicious. I actually used frozen, precooked chicken strips that I found in the waaaaaaaaayyyy back of my freezer. Seriously, I don't even remember buying these chicken strips. Anyway, we all loved this creamy soup and this is something that I will make again and again.

No comments: