June 6, 2011

Turkey Reuben Burger with Jen's Thousand Island Dressing

This is a Cooking Light recipe that was supposed to be a meatball sub of sorts. I decided to morph their sandwich into a burger, since I forgot to buy hoagie rolls during my weekly grocery shop. Thankfully, I did have some sandwich thins on hand and I find a burger is easier for my kids to eat anyway. Win-win!

Turkey Reuben Burger
Adapted From: Cooking Light, December 2010; Alyson Haynes

Ingredients:
2 teaspoons paprika, divided
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1.25 lbs. ground turkey
Cooking spray
4 whole wheat hamburger buns
1 1/3 cups packaged coleslaw
1/4 cup reduced-fat Thousand Island dressing (I made my own--see below. Adjust the quantity based on how saucy you like it.)
4 slices of Swiss cheese

Directions:
Preheat broiler.

Combine 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika, coriander, and next 6 ingredients (through turkey). Shape into 4 hamburger patties. Place burgers on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray, and broil for 6 minutes on each side, or until done.

While the burgers cook, combine the coleslaw, dressing, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon paprika in a separate bowl. Set aside.

Arrange the cooked burger on a bun with 1 cheese slice (leave the top of the bun face up). Place the sandwiches on broiler pan, and broil for 1 minute or until cheese melts and bread is toasty. Divide coleslaw mixture among the sandwiches for topping and finish with the toasted bun lid.

***************************************************

Here is my recipe for the dressing/sauce:

Jen's Thousand Island Dressing

Ingredients:
1/2 cup of light mayo
1/4 cup of dill relish
1/3 cup of ketchup
1/4 cup of diced onions
1 or 2 tablespoons of chili sauce (Adjust the amount based on how spicy you like it; I used an Asian chili sauce.)
1 teaspoon of paprika
a pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate. This dressing should keep for about a month in a sealed container in the fridge.



The Result:
These burgers were fantastic!!! I really love a good Reuben sandwich, and this recipe totally satisfied my Reuben fix. I had to substitute chopped Napa cabbage for the coleslaw mix, so I did some tinkering. I used the cabbage like lettuce, and just used our dressing as a condiment. These burgers were pretty darn perfect.

No comments: