October 5, 2011

Jen's Tuna Melts

Okay, this is not much of a recipe...but I feel that it's noteworthy because I often forget about it. I love a tuna melt sandwich! It's such an easy, cheap dinner that you can probably pull out of your hat with stuff that you already have on hand. This was one of the first meals that I made in the new house and everyone in my family loved it. A side of frozen, steamed mixed veggies made our dinner low-stress and complete.

Jen's Tuna Melts
bread of your choice (I used sliced wheat)
butter (1 stick, softened)
tuna salad of your choice
shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Directions:
Butter all bread slices on one side. Place one piece butter-side down in a hot, non-stick skillet. Place a scoop of tuna salad onto bread in skillet and top with a generous sprinkle of shredded cheese. Top with another slice of bread, making sure butter-side is up (not facing the inside of the sandwich). Cook as you would a grilled cheese. Flip when bottom bread is toasted and golden brown. Remove from pan when other side is cooked, toasted and golden browned. Repeat with additional sandwiches as needed.

The Result:
I use about 6 cans of tuna in water for my family. Be sure to drain the tuna first. I like to add Dijon mustard, low-fat mayo, salt & pepper, lemon juice, diced onion, and diced celery to my tuna salad. However, use whatever recipe you like best.

This is almost a non-recipe, but these sandwiches are sooooo good! You could put a fresh slice of tomato on them to jazz it up even more, but I think they are great as-is.

No comments: