February 29, 2012

Pesto Chicken Stuffed Shells



For the past couple of days, I've decided to quit stalling and do some blog updating. I didn't realize how many recipes I had made lately and didn't post until I went back through my camera photos. Yeesh! I forgot about this dish entirely, which is kinda mystifying because it was darn tasty. I guess I'll chalk it up to mommy-brain and move forward. I can't remember a whole lot about this recipe, other than kids and adults enjoyed it and I will make it again at some point.

Pesto Chicken Stuffed Shells
Adapted From: What’s Cookin’ Chicago, via Pinterest

Ingredients:
1 box of jumbo pasta shells
water for boiling pasta
6oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan + 1/4 cup for topping
1 jar of prepared pesto (homemade or store bought)
2 cups chopped cooked chicken
3 cloves garlic, grated
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups mozzarella cheese, divided
cooking spray

Directions:
In a large pot over high heat, boil water and prepare pasta shells as directed on package. Cook pasta shells only until al dente. The pasta will finish cooking when the dish is baked. Drain the pasta shells and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients, except the 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese and 1 cup of mozzarella for the topping. Fill the pasta shells with the filling and place in a baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese over filled shells.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake shells uncovered for 30 minutes or until shells are bubbling hot and cheese melts.

To make ahead/freezer meals -
Prepare as directed but place filled shells in an oven- and freezer-proof baking dish. Top with remaining 1/4 cup of cheese over filled shells, cover and freeze. When ready to prepare, defrost. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake shells uncovered for 35-40 minutes or until shells are bubbling hot and cheese melts.

No comments: