February 29, 2012

Sarah's Muffin Mix



My friend, Claire got this recipe from our friend, Sarah. I didn't pay much attention to it at first, because I thought that muffin recipes were all pretty much the same. Well, Claire brought some of these muffins to our bible study and showed me how wrong I truly was...these muffins were delicious! After hearing how easy it was to put the mix together and bake fresh muffins in the morning for breakfast, I was convinced that all muffins were not created equal. These. are. awesome.

Sarah's Muffin Mix
Adapted From: Cooking Claire blog

Ingredients:(*)
4 cups AP flour
4 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup flax meal
3 T. baking powder
2 t. salt
2 t. cinnamon
2 t. nutmeg

Combine above ingredients. Store in pantry or freezer up to six months.

For each batch of muffins:

2-3/4 cups muffin mix
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter, melted

Directions:
Place muffin mix in bowl. Whisk egg, milk, and butter together and stir into dry ingredients. Include whichever mix-ins below (mix any dry ingredients in with mix, wet ingredients or fruit into wet ingredients or at the end). Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 18-21 minutes.

Add-Ins:
Banana: 1 cup mashed bananas
Cranberry Pecan: 1 cup chopped cranberries, 1/2 cup chopped pecans, 3 T. sugar
Cappuccino: 1 cup mini chocolate chips, 2 t. instant coffee granules
Apple Cheese: 1/2 cup shredded apple, 1/2 cup colby jack cheese
Blueberry: 1 cup blueberries
Carrot Raisin: 3/4 cup shredded carrots, 1/3 cup golden raisins

One batch yielded 18 muffins for me.

I made a banana/raw almond variation and they were fantastic! I'm sure there are other variations to be made; so I'll have to get my creative juices flowing. I was actually thinking of a dried cranberry/white chocolate chip combo. YUM! Thanks Sarah and Claire!!!!

(*)NOTE: I've updated the mix and the muffins were just as delicious and a bit better for you. For a more healthful version use the following ingredients for the mix:

ALTERNATE INGREDIENTS FOR BASE MIX:
2 cups AP flour
6 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups sugar
1 cup flax meal
3 T. baking powder
2 t. salt
2 t. cinnamon
2 t. nutmeg


No comments: