May 2, 2012

Stuffed Slow Cooker Flank Steak

Ohhhh, I found this recipe as a draft on my computer and I forgot that I had made it. Score! I love it when that happens, because it's like a getting a Christmas bonus or something. (Okay, slight exaggeration.) This turned out to be pretty good, albeit not an attractive recipe; hence no pics. My slow cooker food seems to follow a trend of being very tasty, but not very attractive to the eye. Is that just me? I wonder if I'm the only one with this issue??? Anyway, this was a solid slow cooker recipe to fit into the repertoire.


Stuffed Slow Cooker Flank Steak
Adapted From: Food on the Table website

Ingredients:
1 1/2 (cup) bread stuffing
1 (4.0 ounce can) sliced mushrooms with juice (I used fresh, sliced mushrooms with 1/3 cup of water...see notes)
2 (tablespoon) butter
2 (tablespoon) Parmesan cheese, grated
1 1/2 (pound) flank steak, scored on both sides (I used round steak...see notes)
2 (tablespoon) vegetable oil
1 (package) brown gravy mix
1/2 (large) onion, diced (I actually used two, whole sliced onions...see notes)

Directions:
Combine bread stuffing with mushrooms and juice, butter and cheese. Spread over flank steak. Roll up like jelly roll. Fasten with skewers or string. Heat oil large skillet over medium high heat and brown rolled up steak on all sides, about 5-7 minutes. Place in crock pot.
For sauce, prepare gravy mix according to package directions. Pour gravy mix and onions over meat. Cover and cook on low 8 hours. Remove, slice and serve.

Jen's Notes:
I modified this recipe quite a bit, so I wanted to type out what I did differently. That way, I have a record of the original recipe and my modifications. Smart, eh??? :)

First, I didn't use flank steak. Flank steak was ridiculously expensive (even on sale). Instead, I found some ridiculously cheap round steak and went from there. I ended up using two cuts of round steak, because they were a bit smaller than the flank steak quantity. Also, I really don't like canned mushrooms. I used some fresh sliced button mushrooms and water to make up for the juice. I broke the mushroom slices up with my fingers when I mixed them with the stuffing, butter, and cheese.

Next, I skipped the whole rolling/tying-the-meat thing. I just didn't want to mess around with it. I put one of my sliced onions (see ingredients) on the bottom of the slow cooker. Then, I browned both sides of my round steaks in a skillet and layered one on top of the onion slices. Next, I just poured the stuffing/mushroom/butter/cheese mixture onto the steak. Then, I topped it like a sandwich with the other browned round steak. Next, went another sliced onion and then the gravy layered over all of it. I cooked it on high for 5 hours.

(I probably just should have re-written the entire recipe, but I thought this way may be easier.)

No comments: